Friday, September 2, 2022

Friday folderol

in which our plucky heroine has a day of bits and pieces...

eeee I get to be a beta reader for a friend/favorite author who has a new novel in the works...

sorted out the details for the wedding rings I am making for two friends getting married next month. It will be good to get back to the workshop again after so long, and particularly for such a happy reason.

I've finally begun making scribal progress on the Scythian scroll, the one in my own list that is furthest back in the An Tir backlog queue. Taking advantage of zoom time with other crafty friends, I've transferred the design motifs to the Bristol substrate, and have inked the guidelines with a .005 Pigma Micron pen which will make the eventual painting a lot easier. Next up will be some practice with Roman Rustic calligraphy, before I add the scroll text as an outer border around the pictorial design. I always always do the calligraphy first.
※※※

time in the tinyworld:
this months SCA Miniaturists challenge is "Art...specifically art in mini scale. Perhaps a tiny painting? A minuscule scroll? A little sculpture? A wee portrait? An itty bitty embroidered piece? Imagine a tiny museum, and make something a tiny person might find in it." Inspiring and tempting... my first thought is a book with a jewelled cover, tiny gems and cloisonne. Also tempted to make a museum glass case with artifacts inside...
※※※ 

~ creativity challenge ~
I seem to be seriously lacking in mojo currently... so I decided to start small and mess about with planning a new hat. My everyday hats are quite a few years old. The denim hat was new in 2010, and the brown twill hat in 2012

I'm considering pattern hacking a new hat... I have always made the Green Pepper "Norwester" hat albeit a pretty heavily modified adaptation of that useful pattern. I love the size and shape of the brim, but rather want to try a different hat crown, which should be a fairly easy hack... With that in mind, I went ahead and bought, and downloaded this PDF vintage hat pattern, which I had saved in my Etsy wishlist for quite some time. I am quite enamored of the folded pleated bias crown of the hat. I then realised that my new printer here does not handle 11 x 17 paper. Now I am perhaps foolishly thinking about riding my bike to the local copy store, except it is almost 90F outside, ugh.
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - -yard waste bin
2 --recycle bin
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - It was cool again in the morning, even if it doesn't last, it is a reminder that soon the hot yellow daystar will not dominate the sky...

Time of Isolation - Day 924

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that new hat pattern should look good on you.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed