Thursday, July 14, 2022

Thursday thoughts

in which our plucky heroine breathes a sigh of relief...

The weather is slightly cooler than earlier this week, which is greatly welcome. I took the opportunity to sweep away the cobwebs and spider nests around the front door, as my friend K is going to come by for a porch visit, and I would prefer to have that happen without any arachnid adventures. I always feel a little bad when I remove them, as it is obviously a habitat they like, but there are plenty of other places around the Acorn Cottage environs where they can live undisturbed.
※※※

time in the tinyworld:
Day 14 "on an island"... All the tinyfolk have been out gathering fruit, and are back at the picnic spot with their harvest. It has been so warm that everyone stripped down to just their aprons. Almandine is adjusting the umbrella for maximum shade, while they discuss what sort of preserves they could make for the wintertime pantry, when island life will be just a memory.

My salad table is a sort of a tall island on the front porch, and is ideal for setting up little vignettes to photograph. I will admit that I was rather struggling with how to interpret todays prompt, without even a beach nearby to take photos at, when I shifted to "what do people sometimes do on an island"... one of the things I like about these sorts of online challenges is the way they make me stretch my creativity and imagination
※※※

well, there I was all worried that my sewing machine had developed an obviously *wrong* sound when I stitched in reverse, and thinking oh no, time for a trip to the Very Expensive Technician... and careful observation of when the sound was occurring, and then the almost falling off of the reverse button... which when I screwed it back into place et voila the ticking sound stopped happening! Whew... "tragedy" narrowly averted!
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
My intention was to make a multipocket work apron for Kestrel, age 4¾. After two different fabric choices from my resource shelves turned out to be not-cotton (ugh, that nasty smell when pressing synthetic blend) as confirmed by burn test, I decided that the green teal corduroy would be sacrificed the best choice. There was barely enough to make a pinafore for me, but plenty for an apron for a little girl who loves pockets! I couldn't resist adding a fun maneki-neko patch on the chest pocket. There are five more pockets closer to the bottom of the apron.

If this ends up fitting her well enough, I will make her one from sturdy twill for use in rougher jobs, like helping her family with the house they are rebuilding. She is growing up a child with a Very Large Skillset! I approve, but then given who her parents are I am not at all surprised. I miss them all, adults and child both, very much indeed, and send my sewing as a proxy of my love, in the way that aunties and nanas have done for years...
※※※

July SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 wee fruit basket
recombinant reindeer
yard waste bin
2 mini fire pit
shelf for router
excisional flesh
3 Emilia brown dress
Emilia's legs
entryway spiderwebs
4 Emilia batik dress
- -
5 Kestrel work apron
- -
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Eeeee! Auntie Karen stopped by her local luthier before she came here to visit, and she brought me two discarded cello bridges!! Now I can make a Musical Doll Bed

Time of Isolation - Day 847

4 comments:

  1. Eeeeee! The musical bed sounds *marvelous!* I am excited to see what you make 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to figuring out how best to take advantage of the largesse!

      Delete
  2. I love reading about the activities of your little family, and knowing that they are so well cared for and loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Carol, I am glad to see that you made it through my necessary moderation hoop. I have been having such fun with my tiny friends!

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed