I was surprised at the post box today to find a package, which turned out to be my prize for winning the Pennsic Mini Shelter challenge... Wow! Not only did our fearless leader include the Recombinant Reindeer ornament, but she added in a whole assortment of miniature foodstuffs, and a new miniature doll! There are all kinds of medieval provender: bread (both loaf and slices), rashers of bacon, bunches of grapes, a bowl of pottage complete with spoon, a tiny basket to carry things in, and a few other bits and bobs. I am quite blown away!
Of course I immediately set about "butchering" the Recombinant Reindeer... Much to my surprise, aside from the pendant dangling legs (mini flashlight, axe, entrenching tool, and tent stake?) the rest of the reindeer was cast in one piece! I decided that after carefully removing the little wire eyes that attached the limbs I would then attempt sawing off the head/neck/antlers/marshmallows conglomerate. I am much more interested in the little red and white cooler that formed the reindeer body. Currently, after filing down the spot where the neck attached, I am painting some white gesso down in layers, to try and give the cooler lid an even texture. Yet another bit of camping kit that will look really cute inside the tent.
Day 5 - "in the sunlight"... it's not that sunny today but Almandine insisted on wearing the sunglasses anyway! They're made from a fancy paperclip and the lenses are cut from my eclipse-watching spex, leftover from the trip to see totality 4+ years ago...
※※※
※※※
※※※
This YouTube channel looks like a fun thing to watch, thanks to my pal Wanda for sharing one of the videos with me! What is not to like, combining mudlarking with miniatures... "The Miniature World Of Kit & Caboodlers"
※※※
~ creativity challenge ~
My latest idea, inspired by taking photos of the tiny tent on the salad table, is to use one of the four trays to create a miniature garden. That way I will have an easy way and place to take outdoor miniature pictures without having to flop down on the ground, and I can have the fun of finding and adding plants with tiny foliage or flowers. To start with, there is certainly enough moss around the yard that could be transplanted to create a "grassy" area... ~ creativity challenge ~
※※※
Adrift
Captain lost at sea
Charts destroyed, your anchor gone
Soon the sun will set
※※※
July SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | wee fruit basket | recombinant reindeer | yard waste bin |
| 2 | - | shelf for router | - |
| 3 | - | - | - |
| 4 | - | - | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude(s) - It is actually rather unexpectedly nice; moderating comments means that they show up in my emails. Which means that I see them sooner. Which makes my day at least start off with something pleasant...
Also, today I was able to create a shelf for the tech tower using some assorted scraps, a piece of 3/8" plywood that happened to be just the right size, some L brackets, and a few bolts, washers, and wing nuts. Now the router has an up in the sky place to live.
Time of Isolation - Day 838

What a fabulous surprise! Have you shared the Recombinant Reindeer ornament on your blog? Wondering what a reindeer with a cooler as a body would look like, it sounds fascinating.
ReplyDeleteI will be sharing some more bits about that deconstruction project soon... Since it was part of a prize I won, and just arrived today!
DeleteCongratulations! I am not at all surprised. Your entry is just wonderful. I'll look forward to seeing the prizes you received. I've tried to find the group and challenge with no success. I don't suppose you could share a link?
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a miniature garden raised up on legs. Finding plants and things to put in it will be a fun persuit in itself. I get less and less enthused about getting down on my knees to take photos of the tinies in the outdoors. And then there is the problem of the grass or other plants being so tall in comparison to the dolls. I used to have a lovely waist high stump overlooking the creek that was just perfect for posing dolls. Alas, it finally completely rotted.