Wednesday, April 13, 2022

wishful Wednesday

in which our plucky heroine plays catch up...

So, yesterday I took the bus to the dermatology clinic for a mole biopsy. The medical part was fairly minor, but the hours on the bus was exhausting, and I ended up taking a several hour nap when I got home. This played hob with my getting anything else done yesterday. I won't know for a few weeks what the pathology says, but the doctor said it was very likely benign, so I am doing my best not to worry.

I did get in just over 13K steps yesterday (more than twice my usual), for almost five miles of walking, fitted between the time on the bus, like the transfer to #19 when the next bus wouldn't be there for almost a half hour, and it was faster to walk the rest of the way. Doing what I can to increase my daily movement, which seems to have a direct correlation with my mental state. Fortunately there were whole sections of yesterday when it wasn't raining. I was wearing my new canvas chore jacket with a handknit wool pullover underneath, and was quite cozy.

mystery flowering tree (cherry?), seen on my way to the clinic...
obviously this neighborhood did not get the snow we did earlier

※※※


Took a break from the arithmetic of doing taxes to drill holes in the back door surround, screw in eyebolts, and set the door up with a weight based self-closing mechanism. Not elegant, but ever so useful, and making do with what I have. Noticed that it would be a good idea to add another layer of weatherstripping, as there are huge gaps between the door and the frame.
※※※

The front yard is still a huge mess of tree biomass. The hung torn branch is still hanging there in midair. I wish I knew someone with a chipper, as then at least the downed bits could be turned into mulch. Still, not much can be done right now. The yard waste bin is now full of cut up small branches, but it barely made a dent.
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tiny Euphorbia
jacket snaps added
yard waste bin
2 tiny moth orchid
moar wood chips in planter
recycle bin
3 Countess scroll
weight closer for back door
-
4 Laurel enamel
- -
5 sunflower enamel
- -
6 x
x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x x -
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I have a modest set of housefix tools and skills and am not afraid to attempt things, much less afraid than I was when I began this life as a householder. Yes, it still takes me ages to figure out how to do things, but I fret less about how long it takes. And while I didn't grow up being shown how to use power tools, I did have the good fortune of growing up with parents who did use tools to change the environs, whether it was my Dad building us kids a playhouse or a backyard patio, or my Mom making curtains and clothing, so I learned, at least, that it was possible.

Time of Isolation - Day 759

1 comment:

  1. Well, that makes me feel better about the long nap I needed to take yesterday after tai chi class, the grocery store and the 4 bus rides that were involved. From what I understand, next week masks will no longer be required on the bus here. ugh!

    Hope your mole test results are fine. They probably are, especially since the doctor thinks so. I'm going to get my teeth cleaned today and am a little paranoid about sitting there with my mouth open in a pandemic. Wish me luck!

    Sounds like you're happy with your chore jacket. I mostly sew my own clothes, but I did buy one in yellow on Everlane. It was 100% cotton and on deep sale, very cheap. And I like it, but wonder if the sleeves for my monkey arms are just a tad too short. I'm going to wear it anyway. Maybe it's ok.

    :-) Chris

    PS I came here from following Stephanie's blog - My Vintage Inspiration. I like your blog and admire the way you list your ongoing accomplishments.



    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed