Wednesday, March 2, 2022

my lips are (not) sealed...

in which our plucky heroine almost makes a silly error...

note to self, do not leave glue stick sitting on computer desk next to keyboard alongside the hand lotion... the lip balm was in my cardigan pocket, and I almost glued my lips! Fortunately I have a good sense of smell, and the missing delightful vanilla-rose scent was a clue that the contents of that tube was not a good match for the use I was contemplating...
※※※

time in the tinyworld:
Have a bit of crafty relief from total despair: the planet turns around the sun and spring is sure to arrive before too long... crocus is ¾" tall including "peat pot", tulips are 1¾" tall including "terra cotta pot", all are made from a combination of dried botanicals, paper, paint, wire and glue, pots made from egg carton cardboard.

Egg carton cardboard pots get filled 1/2 full with tiny gravel, then a thick layer of tacky glue, then dried tea crumbles. The plant stems are pushed through the layers to be securely anchored, and the tiny gravel gives the pots some weight to be bottom heavy and hence more stable.

I got the idea for the crocus because a tiny sprig of heather I'd picked weeks ago had dried out with the oval-shaped flowers still very bright... The crocus leaves are a strip of dark green painted paper, cut in a sharp zigzag with an exacto knife, and with a thin white stripe down the middle of each with an opaque white sakura marker. I curled the paper leaves and rolled them around a toothpick and glued them in that cylindrical form. A dab of tacky glue in the center was enough to hold the dried blossoms in place.

※※※

the only thing I use paper grocery sacks for is to cut up into discs to line the countertop compost container. Every four or five months I need to open up a brown paper sack and cut many many little discs. Very boring task  , but lining the container means that the detritus collected comes neatly out, the container is easy to wash and not nasty/gooey, and the now soggy brown paper can be either composted outside or eaten by the worms that live in their box in my kitchen. It is all good.
※※※

Started adding a self-closure weight to the screen door to the back yard, which will make life easier. And OMG does that door really need weatehrstripping, what is there is some very old brittle cracked foam gasket stuff. Home requires constant maintenance, this would have been helpful to notice at the beginning of the winter...
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tiny tulips
more compost liners
-
2 tiny crocus
--
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x - -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I may not be a professional, but I have a modicum of fixit skills and a few tools, and am not afraid to use them.

Time of Isolation - Day 720

4 comments:

  1. "Home requires constant maintenance..." is the story of my life. I love my little home but it's always something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree... I remember years ago when my friend Mr Dawson said "homeownership is a time consuming and expensive hobby" to which I replied "I already have a time consuming and expensive hobby..." (referring to my historic re-creation activities) Little did I know then what the future had in store!

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your posts. This one with the lovely spring potted plants and the tip about the compost container was especially delightful. Your tip about the compost container liner sounds like something I need to start doing. We have lots of brown paper feed sacks that I could cut up and use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I came across the idea of lining the countertop compost collecter, but it has made a slightly nasty chore into a piece of cake, well worth the effort to cut out the paper liners periodically... give it a try and see if you feel the same!

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed