Wednesday, February 2, 2022

spring will eventually arrive

in which our plucky heroine is hoping for a dry afternoon...

I need to do some additional pruning in the yard. The feral grape needs cut back, as it has not only extended along the chain link fence, but through it into the neighbors yard. And while I can still see the limb structure of the plum thicket it would be a good time to mark with colored yarn what parts need pruned this summer. The apple and quince need some additional opening up. The apple in particular, since I am adding the large raised bed between it and the other raised planters in the yard.
Seed catalogs have begun arriving in the mailbox and it is time to plan.
※※※

spent some more time last night and today assembling the raised bed pieces... it is getting a bit easier, or perhaps my fingers are accustomed to handling the small hardware bits.
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
My start-with-art for today is a collage. I realised yesterday that the paper in the blank book I am using for this project is not robust enough for paint on two sides, so I decided to cut scrap paper to apply to the verso side. This will allow me to use whatever media I decide on for either side of the page, without concern.

This morning I noticed the scrap of paper I used yesterday for clearing the excess paint from the waterbrush looked rather like spring flowers, so I cut some simple shapes to play with. The only other "scrap" colored paper handy was the old Vermont Country Store catalog, so I started cutting up some of the pages. (random junkmail catalogs would also work, but those rarely show up in the mailbox)

For some reason I began also cutting out words and phrases from the captions, as a sort of "found poetry" as I went through the pages finding words of a certain size, font, and light background, that somehow connected with the concept and each other. The whole thing was rather playful and random, with my guiding principle being to keep moving and not overthink. I'm calling this one a win!
※※※

I really need to get back on the list for our local Chip Drop... free wood chippings are good mulch, and also good filler for the base of deep raised beds and planters.
※※※

February SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tiny bedroom stove
--
2 ---
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Mossworlds. I never get tired of noticing them, and I am so grateful I live in a place where they exist.

※※※

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed