Wednesday, December 22, 2021

wistful Wednesday

in which our plucky heroine feels caught in nostalgia...

It was good yesterday to talk to the family and friends who called me with natal day felicitations. Overall it was a quiet day. Some packages arrived on my front porch. I went ahead and opened my sekrit santa swap package, like I do every year, for the Solstice and my birthday. I was pleased to get the potholder looper weaving loom from my wishlist, and immediately set to weaving one, with the rainbow loops included in the package. No such thing as too much rainbow! Still, I miss so much the years when instead of sitting quietly in my living room alone, there would have been a Saturnalia party, with festive treats and friends warming the house and my heart. Maybe someday we can gather again, I can only hope...
※※※

warm in winter:
Tonight I experimented with making something new for supper: tsumire-jiru (a japanese fish-ball/miso soup). It had showed up somewhere in my internet rambles, and looked tasty. This was easier and faster to make than I imagined, and there is enough leftover in the pan for a portion tomorrow, maybe for breakfast? Given that the cost of any sort of meat or fish has risen so very noticeably in the last year, a warming meal that uses a minimum of protein to such good effect is a good addition to the recipe book!

The recipe called for fresh sardines, but I substituted rockfish, since that was what was available. I suspect salmon would have been a better substitute, if much more spendy, as the rockfish was so mild as to be bland. (Also the recipe comments allow that it could be made with canned sardines?)  Still, the basic technique is quite straightforward enough that I may attempt it using chicken minced finely instead of fish, as an experiment...
※※※

Still working away at getting the sewing commission work for Deb done in a timely way. I think I hate Simplicity patterns. The way they suggested making the elastic waist was awful, and tore the fabric when I tried to insert the actual elastic. Am going to redo it a different way that will give a cleaner finish.
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 carpenter pockets
pruned Japanese maple
yard waste bin
2 3 jars spiced pears
pruned persimmon tree
recycle bin
3 some candied peel
reset back door latch
-
4 more mini papel picado
AC removed for winter
-
5 final quince jelly
- -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Today there was a large shoebox sized package on my front porch, which turned out to be a second birthday gift from my brother and sister-in-law. In addition to the wonderful picture book "The Shortest Day" that arrived yesterday (on the shortest day), they also sent me the 3qt saucepan from my wishlist. So, not only something to feed my spirit, but also another something to help feed the body I live in... I love them so much and wish that we didn't live thousands of miles apart!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for your recent gifts! I know you will enjoy them.
    The soup makes my mouth water and I hope to make it one day.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed