Wednesday, September 8, 2021

wheel is turning...

in which our plucky heroine has a stop and start again day...

Today started poorly, and it was unclear if I needed advice, or actual help... My rear bicycle tire cannot be reinflated?!? I was adding some extra air to get the tires to proper pressure, and something went wrong when I tried to attach the pump. Instead of locking in place on the valve, it instead let ALL the air out! Couldn't reattach the pump and it feels like the tire is not attached to the wheel. I don't have any experience with bike fixing, or bike fix tools.

Turned bike upside down and examined rear wheel and tire and valve. It appears that the tire valve is partially split where it joins the tire. Which would explain much. WTF?! I imagine now I need to remove the whole wheel in order to have my bike fixed so I can use it again. A Useful Post from REI gave me the info needed to remove the rear wheel of my bike

Later this afternoon, bicycle wheel all repaired! I just need to put it back on my bike now. Gersvinda gave me a ride to the good bike shop in St Johns. We were both masked and the windows open in her truck. I am super impressed with the mask and safety protocols at the shop. Outdoor on the sidewalk "seating area", the mechanic I spoke to on the phone came outside to get the wheel, took it in the shop to fix it (I could see the two people working indoors were all properly masked) and then brought it out all fixed, with a contactless tap and go payment gizmo. Once I get the wheel back on the bike, I should be good for riding again...

I'll be bringing them my bike later this year to get it all tuned up and the parts replaced that need replaced... I want to support people that are doing good work, that are excellent at communicating, and that are being careful to keep themselves and their clients safe!


※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Greek masks block carved
rodent removal
yard waste bin
2 pillowcases printed
bicycle tube replaced
recycle bin
3 snood for Ariadne
- -
4 memorial calligraphy
- -
5 tiny fox "Almandine
- -
6 - x x
7 - x x
8 - x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I have awesome friends, and I will never not be grateful for that... people made useful suggestions, and there were various offers of help, and in the end my pal Gersvinda and her truck gave me a lift there and back again to Block Bikes and I am back on the road again!

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you got your bike fixed safely, and that you found a good business to support as well. I have a particular fondness for the businesses I observed going above and beyond to keep their employees and customers safe, and will always choose to do business with them first.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed