well that was a successful experiment... I wanted to find a substitute for spinach, given the recent news about possible contamination, and decided to try collard greens instead, thinking that since collards are closest to the ancestral cole crop, and that since they are large and flat, prepping them for the project would be easy. (I steamed and blanched the greens before finely chopping them) A slight change in texture, but the "spinach rice bake" of my childhood turned out quite well; having the green portion be a bit more prominent wasn't troublesome, but instead rather toothsome! (and I was pleased that collards are nowhere near as bitter as kale!)
I made new stitch markers for my knitting... I have in the past used pieces of yarn tied in a circle, or plastic washers, or the odd bulb shaped safety pins intended as markers, but I saw some clever wire markers online and thought "self... you have wire of various sorts and gauges, you have pliers... go forth and make some and see if you like that style instead..." And I do. Looking at them now, I am also put in mind of making earrings in a similar somewhat forged shape... hmmmm...
※※※
I want to try this headscarf pattern, since it appears like it would be a tidy fit underneath a bike helmet, and would be another sort of keep the head warm layer in the wintertime
※※※
December SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | tiny patchwork |
Nandina's nose |
recycle bin |
| 2 | 2 Kiki biscornu |
worm bin rebedded |
yard waste bin |
| 3 | 2 sample masks |
dainties bag patched |
yard waste bin |
| 4 | spiral tea towel |
recycle bin |
|
| 5 | new spice rack |
- | knitting sets |
| 6 | 10 wire stitch markers |
x | moar cardboard! |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - enough is as good as a feast... I have enough food, a mostly sound place to live, and people who love me. I have been lucky enough to survive this long... My family is focusing on kindness in this hard time. Enough is as good as a feast


Your collards experiment was interesting to me. We grew them this summer and learned that they require a lot more cooking to get tender than other greens in the same family. We cooked ours in the Instant Pot. We still have one plant hanging on and sending out new leaves. Not really enough to pick and cook a mess though. Our fall kale has been so sweet after it was frosted on many times. I had heard this was true, but can attest to it now myself. We are finally starting to eat the greens we froze. I was able to pick right up until a couple of days ago. The salad greens are still providing us with daily salads from under the row cover, a new innovation for us. I will get back to sprouting soon and want to try some micro greens too. We ate the thinnings from Daikon radishes earlier this year and they were yummy. I'm thinking they will make good microgreens to grow in the house. We got the seeds from the feed store for about $4 a pound. That's a lot of seeds!
ReplyDeleteHi! Yes, I think the headscarf would fit under a bike helmet well. I haven't tried it myself although I'm a cyclist - just don't need the extra layers here in Australia.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your archive :)