Thursday, September 17, 2020

extravehicular activity

in which our plucky heroine perserveres...

I had to/chose to go outside. NOAA forecast for rainshowers 100% tonight and tomorrow. Before the smoke rolled in last week, I removed the damaged lower trim around the east-facing window, leaving empty space where the rotten wood had been (the plan had been for Mr Dawson to come down here and repair whatever needed to happen, but what happened instead was Hazardous Smoke.)

I was outside for probably 20 minutes, had carefully planned what to do beforehand, to fill the gap using those foam pipe insulating tubes, and use duct tape to seal it to the edges... which seemed to work pretty well as far as I can tell, I don't want water pouring into my house walls, eh?...

Came indoors, clothing off and in washer, drink a glass of Emergen-C (potassium ascorbate (1000mg vitamin C plus b vitamins and electrolytes) and immediately into shower) Oh, and I'd tripled up my masks, for extra filtration. As Bill Dawson said this afternoon, when I called him for advice re window... "I was positive I signed up for the non-smoking section of the end of the world...."
※※※
 
~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 54 ~
week three of the Tiny Rag Doll challenge, and this time it is to "create some sort of Bottom/Skirt/Pants..." I decided to take some closer looks at some of Salley Mavor's decoration techniques (which are what is inspiring this two month challenge and her book which is the random prize drawing at the end), and was charmed by her tiny decorative embroidery, and by her use of pinking shears to add additional details. I’ve started on a new skirt for Nandina, again using what felt I have on hand, and assorted strands of DMC embroidery floss...
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation - day 177:
some of this years tomatoes were run through the food dehydrator as an experiment. They are pretty, but the experiment shall not be repeated.

Even after removing their skins, they are still not my idea of a real treat, though they will surely be a good addition to wintertime soups. And tomatoes contain a lot of fluid, which required frequent attention to the dehydrator lest the lower level overflow into the machinery!
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Gwen sunhat removed oven doorold underwindow
2 dozen EQUITY printsclean one bedroom screendead cold-packs
3 tiny deer hatclean studio screens yard waste bin
4 Gwen knit cardigan 10# plums processed recycle bin
5 Nandina coatfelt cover for exhaust fan favorite saucepan
6 Nandina boots doors taped closed oven door glass
7 x 15 # plums processed x
8 x some tomatoes dried
x
9 x underwindow foam + tape
x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude -  I have multiple masks, which made HAVING to go outside in the smoky bad air a little less awful...

1 comment:

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed