I now have two additional big window fans courtesy of the Community Energy Project (and an assortment of other energy saving items, like outlet insulators and weatherstripping). They delivered my "cooling kit" this morning; I took an online workshop last week, and was in the eligible cohort for the free kit. (workshop is sponsored by the local utility company) Now I will be able to use some fans to pull in cooler air and the others to push warm air out of the house on the other side. Given that the forecast is for 102 this weekend, they wanted to get these into peoples homes ASAP!
Since I was able to deploy the new fans immediately, this seemed like the perfect chance to give the older box fans a good cleaning: removing the grilles and scrubbing them, and vaccuming out the as much of the fan guts as can be reached. Ugh! the amount of dust and frelch that accumulates in the fans is rather disgusting, considering that it is coming out of the air outside, and that I do this at least once a year... needs must, and now at least there will be slightly less circulating dust inside Acorn Cottage!
※※※
~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 39 ~
Last week I followed the directions on Ann Wood's blog for making a "straw" sunhat: since I didn't have any cheesecloth, I used a single layer of thin somewhat loosely woven linen. I mixed some golden yellow paint with Elmer's glue, and it worked really well to create a sturdy hat.~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 39 ~
It is getting a little bit more difficult to find flowers for the "Summer Bloom" challenge as we wend further into August, and things around here tend to become a bit crispy from the heat, but these roses were just beautiful! Yesterday I decided to make Nandina the reversible apron from the basic "tiny rag doll" pattern...
Compared to turning one of the tiny reversible blouses inside out, the apron was a LOT easier!. I figured that with one side of the apron solid color, and the other with a fun print, it will be a versatile accessory. My plan is to end up with Nandina having a coordinated wardrobe, in her favorite colors (golden, red/russet, green, tan, and black) I even made a little "Sewing With A Plan" chart in my journal, so as to remind me of what she still needs (items in italic have not yet been created)
- tee shirt - gold cotton knit
- tee shirt - red cotton knit
- tee shirt - striped black/red cotton knit
- dashiki - hand-painted linen
- mini skirt - green/red shot cotton
- loose pants - red/gold/black silk ikat
- overalls - teal/russet shot cotton
- dress - red/teal + embroidery
- jacket - teal/russet shot cotton + embroidery
- cardigan - handknit tan wool
- apron - gold/red shot cotton + tan/green/black crow print
- coat - ??
※※※
It continues difficult to maintain any sort of equanimity. Isolation is wearying. and fretting over things I cannot affect is as well. Maybe with more sleep life will not seem quite so dire, but I doubt it. The situation in this country is in fact, dire. My usual strategies are wearing thin. I miss my friends and family something fierce.
Not my usual sort of beautiful image, but this household chose to use their entire yard fence, more than I could fit in my screen, as a memorial*... names and names and names of those whose lives have been cut short, murdered untimely soon. And hearts. And in the center BLM, as a reminder...
※※※
August SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | scribal sketchbook | light bulbs replaced | - |
| 2 | scroll for Countess E | box fan cleaned | - |
| 3 | tiny knitting bag | box fan cleaned | - |
| 4 | tiny tote bag | x | - |
| 5 | Nandina handknit | x | - |
| 6 | Nandina sunhat | x | - |
| 7 | tiny knitting book | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - I have new paint! Good paint, gouache in tubes instead of the child's paintbox of opaque watercolor I have been using since forever. I am really looking forward to trying them out this weekend! Thank you dearlove M for the incredibly generous gift!!
* this is one of at least three vernacular memorials I know of within walking distance of Acorn Cottage... there is one house that has lined their yard frontage with tiny tombstones, each with a name and the years of their lives. And my favorite local pet and garden store has painted their entire frontage of store wainscot with names and names and names of black people murdered untimely and senselessly.




Nandina seems to be cheerfully appreciative of the pretty things you make for her.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious about your fan strategy. With one fan bringing in cooler air, and one fan pulling hot air out of the house, do you keep all other windows closed?
I don't just use two fans... I put three fans in windows as dispersed as possible in the house, pulling cooler air in. Then I put whatever other fans I have in windows on the opposite side, to push the warmer air out, as well as turning on the vent fan in the bathroom for the same reason. I open all the outerdoors so that excess heat can also passively be pushed out the screen doors. As soon as the outside temperature is higher than the indoor temps, all this gets shut down, all the windows closed, and those that have sunlight hit them during the day get mylar bubblepack deployed. I then reverse this process if it has cooled down enough before bedtime, which only happens sometimes. I wish it were possible to leave the fans in the windows all night, which would pull in a lot more cooler air, but it isn't safe. So I compromise by trying to shift my sleep wake cycle to be awake earlier so I can gather as much coolness in the early morning as possible
DeleteThank you for your detailed strategy info, Alison. I'm always trying to glean a couple cooler degrees from the available atmosphere. I have a couple windows that are high up so I keep fans in them all night and that makes a huge difference. Also, keeping the house closed up tight after about 9:30 in the morning makes a huge difference.
DeleteWish I had additional useful suggestions... this is the best I have figured out
DeleteThat BLM wall of names is one of the most beautiful things I've seen lately. <3
ReplyDeleteIt is a beautiful memorial to something so horrific... I will have to see if I can manage some more photos of the other memorials I have seen on my walks
Delete