Here is some delightful percussion:
.
※※※
.
※※※
Pre-pandemic my life was mostly solitary, but sprinkled with daily small social contact and connection, rather like one might sprinkle pepper on breakfast eggs, enough to add savor, but not so much as to overwhelm them... Now my life is more like hot cereal without any butter, or sweet, or savory toppings, it is still enough to sustain body and spirit, but the small sparks that brightened the inherent flavor are gone. No way around this but through. And there were, at various times of the year intensely social gatherings, eagerly awaited visits, and other human festivity that now feels both impossible currently and forever fatally risky to return to.
※※※
The gum surgery I had almost six weeks ago (just prior to going into seclusion) has left me with a partially exposed tooth root. This is now excruciatingly sensitive to anything cold or hot, and I didn't know that would be a likely result of saving the tooth. As I still need to continue to drink liquids, my choice is either lukewarm water, or re-learn how to use my tongue and mouth to drink with. I have a great appreciation now for the efforts made by infants, and people with brain injury, 'cos this is not an easy thing to do, but our plucky heroine is nothing if not persistent.
※※※
A few days ago, I was walking early, just after dawn, enough that the street along the edge of the bluff was not chock-a-block full of joggers, walkers, and bikers. I adore what is called "the marine layer" which as far as I can tell consists of cool mist that is created inland every morning under certain conditions, and softens the early part of the day in the springtime. Before the mist burns off, the view is almost picturesque (in bright sunlight it looks out over railyards and industrial infill along the Willamette).
※※※
Got a request this week to carve a portrait block for printing a custom mask to wear when dog walking. Should be pretty interesting! Or at least a change from my usual medieval aesthetic.
※※※
April SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | dried mushrooms | window rainbow | dead Bernina |
| 2 | frozen mushrooms | some pruning | five pounds |
| 3 | 6 more masks | motion light | yard waste bin |
| 4 | 12 masks | lawn mowed | - |
| 5 | 10 more masks | some more pruning | - |
| 6 | 21 more masks | green onions planted | - |
| 7 | tiny drawings | peas protected | - |
| 8 | green CYRK lion | printer interface | x |
| 9 | 35 masks cut out | x | x |
| 10 | red CYRK lion | x | x |
| 11 | drawing Ruby | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes - a house that has all sorts of craft supplies and equipment, that allow all kinds of theoretical options to become reality


I have great confidence in your ability to make it work. Based on what I've seen on your blog, I feel your eye for design is at its best (which is pretty darn good) when you're blockprinting.
ReplyDeleteYou have the most interesting music links!
ReplyDeleteYour gratitude I agree with. I feel so sorry for people who have no interests to pursue with their hands. I feel that when working on a physical creative project, our hands are the conduit to the peace and happiness in our soul.
Have you tried a toothpaste for sensitive teeth, like Sensodyne? If you don't like the taste, you can just rub it into the exposed root with your finger.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading your blog.
I am glad you find my online rambles enjoyable! I have not tried that, and perhaps it might help? The thing is that right now I am remaining entierely isolated for safety (multiple risk factors), and the idea of either going to the drug store, or ordering a tube of toothpaste online isn't that realistic.
Delete