Yesterday I topped 10,000 steps, walking in circles around various blocks in my neighborhood. It is so very weird to choose movement without any destination, I can remember only a few times since childhood that I was not both enjoying the walk or ride, and also intending to complete an errand at the same time.
not sure what this pretty thing is, I would hazard a guess dwarf lilac, but it is way too early for that, since the one in my yard is just leafed out, but only buds for the future flowers, and this has no leaves at all...
※※※
Plan of the day somewhat derailed:
start drawing/writing a tablet manual for Mom - tablet needs to recharge before I can start remembering how to use it... put this project on temporary hold, move on to next drawing project for Michele, medieval dancing rats and crowsPlan of the day somewhat derailed:
plant peas outdoors- need to rearrange the backyard, will wait until not in direct sunshine later today
mod Ikea cart to hold printer (and also act as an ironing board) - gosh, it takes a long time to hand saw through 2 x 4's and super annoying to find that the first one is full of insect tunnels...ew! Not going to bring that indoors. Switch to plan B and figure out another way to support the upper surface
※※※
on further thought and searching online, found a source for seeds suitable to grow microgreens that extra plus, wasn't Amazon, but a reputable venerable New England vendor I remember from my youth
※※※
I am already doing this as standard operating procedure, but if you happen to have a bunch of green onions...
Allium self-sufficiency re green onions : green onions are a doddle to re-grow, I do it all the time. If you have a bunch of green onions with little rooty bits on the end, cut off the white rooty end about an inch and a half to two inches. These can be planted in dirt in a pot, or planter right away without further need of processing or starting. What I do is use a stick or large sharpie etc and make a vertical hole a little less deep than the cut off pieces, gently put them in the hole and firm around them, and water. in a few days at most you will likely see the green end elongating and starting to grow. From then on, they will continue to make green onion for you to use. Just snip off a few spears from each one as needed, always leaving at least one or more of the spear-leaves on each one. This works so well that I normally only ever purchase green onions a few times a year to restart the process.
※※※
March SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | candied pomelo peel | back corner fence | yard waste bin |
| 2 | blood orange marmalade | pantry reorganised | recycle bin |
| 3 | cara cara marmalade | corned beef in freezer | - |
| 4 | three drawings | repair dainty bag | - |
| 5 | new ricebag cases | fruit tree pruning | x |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - my very incremental ongoing decisions of planting food and herb plants here at Acorn Cottage... I pretty much suck as a gardener, and it isn't anywhere near my favored activity, but here is a list of the things I have planted or encouraged to grow here, which mostly do their own thing with limited effort and input on my part: Italian prune plum thicket, funky apple tree, persimmon tree, quince tree, walking onions, green onions, rosemary, sage, thyme, salad burnet, chickweed, lovage, feral grapevine, feral violets, rhubarb, figs, blueberry, and black elder. Certainly not the wide range that a true gardener would have, and some of these plants are more productive than others, but I have dried fruit in the pantry, jars of sweetness on the shelves, and the ability to season cooked food, as well as add very small amounts of nutritious greenstuff.

Sounds like a satisfying life. I'm going to try to grow green onions. Getting the little ends started will occupy me on a day of enforced solitude.
ReplyDeletegreen onions really are that easy. I originally read about this way of growing them in a Mother Earth News way way back in the dawn of time, as a way you could grow them indoors in the winter! I am sort of wishing that I had thought to grab a bunch back when I did the massive shopping trip 10 days ago, but I will keep my fingers crossed I can keep my batch going as long as possible Mine are in the salad table, so they only have about four or five inches of dirt max...
DeletePlanting seeds is such a satisfying and hopeful activity - I think it appeals to some genetic memory, even in times when we don't have to grow our own food. For most things my planting season is the opposite of yours, so I aim to plant everything in October and have production from January through May, at which point it the heat kills everything. A lot of my favorite seed companies have disappeared, but two good ones are Seeds of Change and Botanical Interests. I've had good results with seeds from both companies.
ReplyDeleteI will remember those seed companies, both of which I have heard of, and indeed seen their seed packets in the shops. For now, I am rather stuck with what I purchased, but given how well the pea seeds sprouted, I have my fingers crossed for good luck. I hope you are keeping well, and that your garden is abundant
Delete