Tuesday, March 31, 2020

covered in white...

in which our plucky heroine enjoys some favorite tunes...


Richard Thompson - White Room - (originally performed by Cream)


Pink - White Rabbit - (originally performed by Jefferson Airplane)

These are only some of the songs I grew up with, many of which carry layers of evocative memory.
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation:

Euphorbia characias wulfenii... a spectacular plant with tall long-lasting clusters of chartreuse flowers. It self seeds freely, but is also easy to remove when not wanted, as the seedlings are quite distinctive. Definitely not edible, as the milky sap can be slightly toxic/reactive if it gets on your skin. Nonetheless, I always enjoy seeing it in bloom; I am a great fan of plants I do not need to coddle, but which add a great deal of character to my yard.
※※※

In the interest of using some of my stored preserves, I am changing up which one I use in my daily yoghurt mixture*, as each little 4 oz jar gets emptied. So far the newest one, saffron pomelo, is a winner, although the lemon/fig/port I just finished was quite tasty too! These are not the flavors one would find at the grocery store...
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 candied pomelo peel back corner fenceyard waste bin
2 blood orange marmaladepantry reorganisedrecycle bin
3 cara cara marmaladecorned beef in freezer -
4 three drawings
repair dainty bag -
5 new ricebag casesfruit tree pruning x
6 printer/ironing cart peas planted
x
7 banana breads periodontal surgery
x
8 seven masks x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Entirely unexpectedly, the phone rang with a call from my friend N, who in the midst of all the medical madness, wanted to let me know that a group of folks she worked with had come to the aid of a mushroom farmer who had no way to sell his current crop. N is sending me a 5# box of oyster mushrooms, via a fellow surgeon who lives near me!

* my daily yoghurt mixture is what I began eating for breakfast post-periodontal-surgery, when my usual breakfast (a tablespoonful of raw rolled oats soaked overnight, then mixed with some chopped nuts, chopped fresh fruit, a teaspoon of flaxseed meal, and either yoghurt or milk) was no longer an option, as it requires chewing. Instead, a scoop of whey protein powder is mixed with greek yoghurt, the same teaspoon of flaxseed meal, and a teaspoon of homemade jam, preserves, or syrup. Add a little water if necessary to get a smooth spoonable consistency. For the weeks I couldn't eat regular food, it made a nutritious and palatable meal.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you do with 5# of mushrooms!

    I, too, love attractive plants I don't have to coddle. That's an advantage of the chokecherry bushes/trees in my yard. Disadvantage is they want to take over every square inch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the mushrooms are going to be preserved either by drying in the food dehydrator, or by being chopped, precooked in a dab of butter, and then frozen in flattened layers in ziploc bags. I do plan on eating some of them today though, since cooking them down in butter has rather rekindled my nonexistant appetite a bit...

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed