Springtime seems to be a bit early this year, but these crocus are a welcome sight nevertheless...
found a length of some tweedy (if thin) jersey knit in a medium grey in one of my fabric bins, and so cut out another pair of cropped leggings. They will be part of my SWAP 2020; despite the early flowers, it is still chilly enough that these will be a welcome addition to my everyday wardrobe. They will have a blockprinted trim along the hemline, using some recently carved counterchanged triangular blocks:
After several years, my pattern for leggings has been deteriorating, with the blue tape peeling up from the paper, so I transferred it to cardboard for future use. It would be great to get most all of the basic garment patterns in cardboard, which is ever so much easier to use than thin paper patterns. Cardboard is more difficult to store, but I suspect that space in a closet could be found, particularly with more decluttering
※※※
the black/grey gingham flannel shirt is completed, and my guesstimate for how long to make the sleeves turned out to be just right. I will be making a note of that on the pattern for future reference, and foresee some additional shirts (as opposed to blouses) in my future sewing at some point...
The collar and neckline of the shirt, showing two different sides of the polkadot fabric (yoke facing, and bias binding along collar shirt seam), bias and straight-of-grain use of the gingham flannel.
The successful tower placket, both closed (above), and open (below)... again showing how I used the polkadot fabric to line the cuff and also to create the inner placket.
started once again on the cuff embroidery for my rubakha... I'm more pleased with this iteration. Once I finish the embroidered arches, I will be outlining the printed motifs in the same metallic thread.
February SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | one pelican head | restrung grey beads | paper recycling |
| 2 | second pelican head | dial tone regained | frontyard prunings |
| 3 | rubakha trim printed | bra elastics renewed | bag to Goodwill |
| 4 | leggings trim printed | Arlys circlet | paper recycling |
| 5 | black/grey shirt | An Tir pennant | - |
| 6 | x | leggings pattern | - |
| 7 | x | Karla sewing machine | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - I am grateful that I know enough to be of help to others, which contradicts my chronic imposter syndrome. I was able to help Karla with her sewing machine, which turns out to be a very nice commercial Singer, I am guessing from about thirty or forty years ago.






I love the details of your new check shirt. It is a marvelous shirt.
ReplyDeleteYears ago, I read of some people who used the large sheets of craft felt for patterns. That seems like a good idea to me. The felt wouldn't slip around while on the fabric.
The contrast parts and the construction of your shirt are delightful. Small details like those are what makes sewing and wearing our clothes so enjoyable.
ReplyDelete