Saturday, December 28, 2019

not resolutions but intention

in which our plucky heroine looks towards the next go round...

"Everytime that wheel turn round, bound to cover just a little more ground"...

※※※

Looking at what I accomplished over the last year:

garment sewing:
6 t-shirts for my mom
15 modern garments for me
13 SCA garments for others
4 SCA garments for me

metalwork done:
4 pieces (one a HUGE project)

scribal activities:
6 charter masters created
9 charters painted

other textile activity:
Laurel tablet woven band
2 handknit sweaters
1 new backpack for me

I know that this looks like a lot, but it doesn't feel like a lot. Apparently most of my effort was directed at sewing and textile artifacts, and comparatively little at metalwork. What this tells me is that I need to give my metal and enamel some extra attention in order to bring more balance to my creative life. Also, don't blink, because a yearwheel turns really fast!                   
※※※

Made a swimsuit today*, with the hope that we (Heather, Brandon, Ellie, and Melody + our plucky heroine) would be able to visit the Soaking Pool at McMenamins Kennedy School Hotel. Alas, had forgotten that it is the dreaded holiday weekend between Christmas and New Years, and there were so many people at the hotel itself (the hotel guests have priority over general public) that we waited an hour and a half without success for a spot to open up. Gave up and went to Enat Kitchen for an early supper instead. Yummy Ethiopian food
※※※

One night last week I lost control of the waterpik. It was rather alarming, and messy, and hilarious all at the same time, but fortunately I managed to correctly deal with the handpiece and stop the water from spurting across the kitchen! If I was the designer, I'd have set it up that pressing the button on the handpiece caused the water to flow, rather than having it begin automatically and needing to hold the button down to shut off the water jet
※※※

good news is that the alley neighbors have removed about a third of the trash behind their house that has been a horrible eyesore for the last month. this gives me hope that eventually they will remove all of it...
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 capsicum-free
persimmon ketchup
2 walls painted wooden AC support
2 candied grapefruit peelneckline has dotsdamaged shoes
3 even more dried persimmonnew lid worm bin paper recycling
4 blockprinted ermine trim
x bag to Goodwill
5 fruitcake bakedx paper recycling
6 red linen for Larry x
-
7 saffron linen for Larry x
x
8 rum balls x x
9 ginger whiskey balls
x x
10 swimsuit x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x
 

today's gratitude - experimental swimsuit is wearable, if not particularly photogenic. Figuring out how best to alter it for current body size/shape is tricksey.

Pattern is well over 20 years old at this point, and I've not quite the same body as I did back in the early 90's. And I decided to change up the skirted aspect from an empire waist skirt to a sort of attached at hip level skirt.  Turns out the empire waist skirt is more attractive IHMO. But a hip level skirt will be less cumbersome when actually In The Water. No photos "as worn", way beyond my comfort zone that would be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed