This is probably the last year I will participate in the annual "Sewing With A Plan" challenge...
Not because I have stopped enjoying the challenge, but because I am getting close to my long range goal of having enough clothing, which for me means having eight each of the various categories of garments that are a necessary part of my wardrobe. Eight because that means a week or so between doing laundry. Over the many years I have been pursuing this goal, my clothing has gradually become almost but not entirely self-made, and has become something that pleases my eyes and my tactile and design senses, and even draws positive comments from complete strangers.
After I finish SWAP 2020, I will need a few specific niche garments*, but mostly my yearly sewing will shift to mending, and to replacing garments too worn to mend. On the average, a garment in regular rotation lasts about three to five years before the fabric is worn out, so personal sewing will still be ongoing, but somewhat less intensive.
* niche garments on my sewing list:
- a new bathing suit
(needed soon, because a trip to McMenamins soaking pool is in the offing later this month!) - a pair of overalls
(for those rare occasions when trousers are needed) - a new raincoat
(my current "raincoat" is a venerable 20 year old Goretex outdoor jacket, and looks quite shabby)
※※※
What else I have, which are never taken for granted and always at the top of my count-yr-blessings-gratitude list, are my beloved if far flung family (parents, sister, brother, and their families) and my equally beloved and equally far flung circle of friends (too numerous to name). And, I have a home, a house, in a relatively safe place compared to much of the world, with a sound structure, hot and cold running potable water, and enough electric power and space to do much of what I need and want to accomplish.
※※※
there is one great gap, however, missing from the center of my life:
I will never have the story of my life be one with a dearheart to share long years with. I remind myself often that even those who were given that gift can and do often lose it through death or mischance, and that tis better to live as a singleton than to live with another in unlove. I do get wistful and sad (and frustrated sometimes at all I have needed to learn to do myself without help), and wish for a special person to share my adventures with, to talk to in the dark warmth, to hold my hand, or wrap me in loving arms...
※※※
December SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | capsicum-free persimmon ketchup | 2 walls painted grey | wooden AC support |
| 2 | x | neckline has dots | damaged shoes |
| 3 | x | new lid worm bin | - |
| 4 | x | x | - |
| 5 | x | x | - |
| 6 | x | x | - |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - the kindly thoughtfulness of Gersvinda, who knowing that I lack a vehicle, offered me transportation to and from the regional Laurels meeting, which otherwise would have required me to spend almost five hours on public transit there and back (note: I would have skipped the meeting, as that is far more time than I can spare)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed