Friday, August 2, 2019

Friday fragments

in which our plucky heroine continues incremental improvement...

Today* This morning was a respite, it actually drizzled in the wee small hours before dawn, and the early hours of daylight were cool and sweetly grey. I have all the windows open, and am planning a midday bike ride just to enjoy the weather!
※※※

ancient Greek word of the day: κακοθερής (kakotherēs), unfitted to endure summer heat (literal translation = bad at summer)... that would be me!
※※※

Regarding the year long wardrobe sewing challenge, in some ways I skipped July, partially because of medical foo, and partially because the suggested garments** are not part of my wardrobe. I did, however, sew an additional popover dress to my summer wardrobe instead, made from incredibly lightweight silky rayon in a very dark indigo faux-shibori print.

The August suggestion is a skirt, blouse, cardigan set, with high boots, a brooch, and a ring as the accessories. I have planned to sew at least one additional blouse before autumn. I already have several cardigans in different colorways, ditto a pair of tall boots that fit me. Don't ever wear rings, and rarely wear brooches. If I substitute one of my pinafores for the skirt, I'm good.
※※※

August SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 x popover pocketsplant stand
2 xx-
3 xx -
4 x
x -
5 xx -
6 x x
-
7 x x
-
8 x x -
9 x
x -
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - riding my bike again makes me feel like my life is returning to what passes for normal.

* by midday it was sunny hot and very humid, and my ride to the library reminded me all to much of my youth in New England. This season has felt a lot like that, being more humid than usual, and even a few summer thunderstorms, which are really rare here.

** tee shirts and shorts, with sandals and a necklace as accessories...
I have sandals, and am still planning on making a beaded herringbone stitch necklace in my copious free time, but I NEVER wear shorts as a visible outer garment. Just not my style, and the year I made a bunch of tee shirts as part of SWAP was fun, but they languished in my dresser unworn. If it is hot enough that the suggested combo is appropriate, I will be wearing a popover as that is as close I can come to not wearing anything at all and still be street-legal...

4 comments:

  1. Love the popover! Beautiful fabric and very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you! the fabric is probably one of the nicest rayon fabrics I've sewed with for a while...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks Ruthie! I am pretty pleased with it, and given our weather forecast, it will be in immediate wardrobe rotation

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed