Friday, June 21, 2019

Friday fragments

in which our plucky heroine fits a lot into a day...

in between work, I am slowly making another Everyday Dress for myself. The neckline on this one is a simple convertible collar, as opposed to the former peter pan collars. I am amused by the stripes going in all sorts of directions!
The hemline edge is trimmed with pieces cut from former well-loved dresses. I wore that dotted dress until parts of the fabric actually wore through. There were enough still-good pieces from the skirt to trim a new dress, and for a few other uses...
Since there wasn't quite as much of the stripey fabric as I'd hoped for, the pockets get pieced so that the visible portion is stripey, and the rest of the pocket pieces are dotted. Usually this technique is used on jeans pockets, but it seemed like the only way to make this work, as the remaining stripey bits were mosly only an inch or two wide, and I sure wasn't going to make bitsy patchwork pockets...

※※※

well that was excellent! I had been recently and specifically wishing that I knew more about some basic ways to take care of my bike. Then I noticed the email last week about how the Tool Library was offering a free evening workshop on just that very thing! I learned a number of simple things I CAN do, like wash the bike, degrease, and re-lubricate the chain, and also have a handle on what basic supplies I don't already have that would be useful (chain lube), what the next action items I need to take care of are, and in addition, the woman teaching the workshop also has a bike shop about a half mile from Acorn Cottage, so that is also a plus!
※※※

Yay!! Kieran and her dad, (and Mollie the tree-climbing dog) came over this morning, and much home-wrecking of squirl nests ensued... So many thank-yous!! Hopefully this will dissuade the little bushy-tail tree rats from hanging out here and wreaking havoc in my plants.
※※※

Finished sewing the wool SCA overdress for Aesa. The wool is so very soft and lovely, and the grey fabric now has the blue linen bindings edging the hem, neckline, and cuffs, so it will be comfy to wear as well as warm. That is the last of this batch of tween clothing for the summer, I think...
※※※

Walking over to the bus stop recently and saw these pretty allium seed heads - they so remind me of fireworks, in a good way, all of the pretty and none of the nasty loud 'splody sounds!
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 blue floral blouse backyard clotheslinedead rope
2 charter #3 boombox cord plugbag yard waste
3 batik popover dressweeds gone front yard bag yard waste
4 charter #4
weeds gone back yard yard waste bin
5 Laurel enamelweeds gone side yard yard waste bin
6 Aesa wool gown apple tree mulched
-
7 x 4 sewing shelves sorted
-
8 x new serger needles -
9 x
rulers cork reattached -
10 x gussets added to shirt -
11 x neckline adjusted x
12 x bike brakes tightened x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - sometimes getting exactly what I ask for, quickly enough that I notice it! Also grateful for the nice man with the sweet German Shepard puppy who let me say hello to the wiggly and friendly doggo!!

1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE what you've done with the stripes around the neckline! Great use of fabric and your artist's eye.

    And very cool to find a class on bike maintenance. Nothing difficult, but you have to know what is needed before you can do it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed