Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Tuesday tidbits

"practice makes proficient" - not perfect, not necessarily progress...
proficient* = competent or skilled in doing or using something

So make good choices about what and how you practice, whether with hand or brain or spirit, because repetition makes whatever you repeat more likely to happen again. Some of the things I have practiced over the years/decades have really made my life easier, like I am much better at soldering than I was when I started. Some of the things I have practiced over the years/decades have made my life much more difficult, like assuming danger all the time, which has limited my life in uncounted ways. We most often think of practice in terms of trying to learn new skills, but we are practicing continually in all the different spheres we exist in. I continue to attempt to notice what I am practicing, and to practice by choice and not by default. This is way harder than it sounds, and is in itself a type of practice...
※※※

Every time I've ridden the train between Boston and points west, this curious structure has fascinated me, and this trip I managed a few decent photos...

.
as seen from the train, and enlarged to show facade

The water visible in the photos is Farm Pond in Framingham, the terminal end of the Sudbury Aqueduct, which was built between 1875 and 1878, and was in use for over 100 years. The small building is not an unusual home site, as I had imagined, but rather a "gate house" that houses part of the machinery that controlled the flow of water.
Here is a photo from 1910, looking in the opposite direction, and the rail line is clearly visible in the background.
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 earbud case replace button patches chicken house
2 Ursa pullover pruned parking stripchicken waterer
3 xrenewed raised planters lots of yard waste
4 x
plant salad table paper recycling
5 xplant tomato starts -
6 x grapevine pruned
-
7 x green onions planted
-
8 x I-cord edging -
9 x
x -
10 x
x -
11 x x -
12 x x -
13 x x -
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - the internet makes doing research eversomuch easier, as only those of us who grew up before will ever appreciate

*late 16th century: from Latin proficient- ‘advancing’, from the verb proficere, from pro- ‘on behalf of’ + facere ‘do, make’.

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating bit of history, and thought-provoking bit of philosophy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love solving that kind of mystery! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the internet is the reference library that never sleeps, and is available to use even when we are in our pyjamas...

      Delete
  3. What I love about this little scene is that it could still be 1875 - I don't see any evidence of modern life like power lines, cars, or shiny tall buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking from the rail tracks out over the water does give that effect, (unless you look Really Really Closely and see how the gatehouse is barricaded off with chain link fencing) One thing I really love about rail travel is all the things you see that car travelers miss

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed