Wednesday, April 24, 2019

wishful Wednesday - shopping basket cart

in which our plucky heroine admires cleverness...

When I saw this, I just couldn't help myself from talking to the person toting their groceries about it... They made it from a rattan cane inherited from someone in their family, a basket found at a thrift store, and some hardware and lumber.

I have often thought that something like this would be ideal for toting things around at SCA events, as a basket would be less obtrusively modern than my folding chrome luggage-toter. Acquiring a suitable and sturdy basket would be the big challenge, the rest is pretty much within my skill set. I would probably create a slightly different handle, and make it detachable from the basket, so as to make packing and transport to events easier...


2 comments:

  1. How clever and appealing that basket is! I delight in the creativity of people who see a need and fill it in their own creative way. I can see you acquiring a new craft: basket-making. Then moving forward with making such a cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done reed basketry in the past, but never on a large scale like would be necessary for such a shopping cart. Reed basketry is fun, but all the large scale baskets I have seen have been made from wooden slats, or from willow branches, both of which are much sturdier. It will remain on my cogitation pile for a while longer...

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed