Sunday, December 2, 2018

Tuesday tidbits

in which our plucky heroine is tuckered out...

This weekend, in order to have handwork of calmness, started another pair of Log Cabin Mitts, intended to be modified into gloves* by adding fingers and a thumb. Royston Ribbon: a kind of turquoise cut to show the vein of turquoise as a ribbon through the matrix stone, which is how it is often found... (bear in mind that most of the other pairs of Log Cabin Mitts I've knit also have various geological names)
※※※

Saturday was the local Yule event, which I usually try to not attend, but since it was also the event where dear pal Marya was being elevated to the Laurel, I must needs be there. The event itself was every bit as overcrowded and noisy as ever, but being present to be one of the group of Laurels standing to honor her, and hearing the words of the four noble peers who spoke for her, (as well as seeing the beautiful clothing and regalia many of us had a small part in making for her) made it all worthwhile.


Marya on vigil

Marya kneels before the King and Queen,
Duke James Greyhelm in the background

Marya swearing fealty

photos courtesy of Ursel Lindenhayn
※※※

The other project I must need complete prior to this event was one of the original scrolls given out for various Baronial or Kingdom honors... this one was for Istvan Goryi, who was being made a member of the Baronial Order of the Mountain's Pride. It was quite challenging as the recipient has a Hungarian persona, and I couldn't find any manuscript illumination from his time period. So... I decided to use an image of an elaborate metalwork artifact, and to surround it with text transliterated in Old Hungarian letters, which look similar to Norse runes, but not the same. Quite pleased with the effect, particularly using several different colors of metallic paint to add dimension; the golden disc is about three inches across:

(prior to being signed by Baron and Baroness, and having the pendant seal applied)
※※※

Since all these various projects took time, there wasn't much left for me to create some spiffy new clothing for myself. (Though that is the YLWC plan for December, which is meant to be "dressy" clothing and accessories - I'm going to interpret that as SCA dressy, which I do have a use for) Instead, since I wanted to wear something vaguely Slavic/Russian in Marya's honor, I combined a vaguely Byzantine overdress with one of my undergowns with highly decorated cuffs. As a way of hiding the very inappropriate plaid fabric, I also added a lower hemline band about 15" deep, to cover the part of the undergown that showed at the lower hem. Said band being made from shot cotton with an lower decorative trim about 10" wide of block printed shot silk. (I figured a hemline band would be quicker than making an entire new undergown) My plan for December is to block print coordinating cuff fabric, and then make up a new undergown with plain linen rather than plaid, and remove and reapply the hemline band, leaving the plaid undergown in its original state... no reason why it wouldn't work?

※※※

Stupid cranky ankle pain has been intensifying for days now. Doesn't matter if I am standing, sitting, or lying down. Topical meds are not helping with pain. Ankle brace has not helped with pain. Sleep is elusive.
Just checked the mail from yesterday received notice that the (simple, cheap, available on Amazon) ankle brace I was given (by the foot doc I was referred to by my regular doc) has been denied coverage, so I am now liable for that expense at whatever inflated medical price it was listed at.
I will have to phone in again tomorrow to find out what to do next. I am surprised that a relatively inexpensive first step treatment is not covered. I wonder what got coded in as wrong with my ankle. And, of course, I wonder what is actually wrong, and why it isn't improving, but becoming more and more painful. It has been almost a month now...
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 x xextra tartlets**
2 x x-
3 xx -
4 x x -
5 xx -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x
x -
10 x x -
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

* gloves are needed, it is wintery here, and they were also part of the November YLWC

** does it count as a "things gone" if I give the platefull of extra quincemeat tartlets to my neighbors, rather than have the little sweets hang around here until I eat them? I think so, since otherwise they would end up adding clutter to my waistline!

2 comments:

  1. Love the log cabin pattern for the gloves, and I'm a big fan of turquoise veins. Lots of that here in AZ and nearby NM, although I expect the true mineral was mined out long ago and we can only see it in museums and antiques.
    Oh your poor ankle! I hope you're staying warm, as the winter cold can't be helping with that situation. And having insult on top of injury, literally! I share your frustration with the insanity of the medical professions. I trundled myself down to a specialist today, only to be told that they needed an order from my doctor, but they couldn't call my doctor, so I would have to reschedule. Meanwhile my insurance has just sent notification that they stopped covering 2 of my maintenance medications. Inexplicable. But we must endure! And eat tarts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for your frustration re the medical fu... I have plenty of wooly bits to help me stay warm, and in truth I would much rather be cold than hot, because one can always bundle up, but in the heat there is a limit past where taking clothing off doesn't help! There are many many different varieties of turquoise is my understanding, and not just here in the USA, though we have been fortunate in the past with how much was available.

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed