Wednesday, November 21, 2018

something like fringe benefits

in which our plucky heroine eschews pompoms...

...in favor of tiny tassels, which are much easier and quicker to make! A while back I fell in love with the concept of a scarf with multicolor "bobble" trimmings. It all started when I saw this designer scarf which reminded me of my pom pom cowl, that whimsical and useful accessory made in 2012, but sadly no one makes multicolor pom pom trim in any kind of appealing colors. (I assume that the designer scarf has handmade pom poms attached individually) So, that concept went to the back burner, until one day this Tiny Tassel Tutorial turned up... It occurred to me that another linen gauze cowl would be a perfect accessory to coordinate with my 2018/19 sewing challenge garments as well as the rest of the wardrobe, and would pay homage to the inspiration without slavishly copying it.
Whilst out and about today, I had cleverly packed up this project as transit handwork, but somehow forgot to include the 5mm knitting needles that are the suggested spacers. A handy fallen twig, and a bit of whittling made shorter spacers which are actually easier to use than the long double pointed knitting needles. EDC for the win! (what do folks do that don't have a pocket knife, or multitool, or stuff like that?)

2 comments:

  1. Love your scarf-in-the-making. And brilliant to use a found object instead of the prescribed knitting needles.
    I’ve carried a Swiss Army knife with me for 30+ years, too. It has come in quite handy on many occasions. ‘Tis good to be able to work yourself into a solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg... it turned out that I liked the little whittled sticks so much better than the knitting needles that I ended up using them for the entire rest of the tassels...

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed