Tuesday, October 23, 2018

green in winter - a Monday task

in which our plucky heroine takes precautions...

The city is full of squirrels, and there are few predators to keep them under control. The salad table on the front porch is a good spot to grow greens, as long as I can keep the squirrels from digging holes, throwing the dirt on the ground, and tearing the baby plants up by the roots. Bird netting was added to the squirrel "cages", which cover the flats where the new plant starts were planted today. The one set of flats is now planted with tah tsoi, swiss chard, and mizuna...
...next up will be attaching bird netting to the other cage, and planting green onion starts. The lacinato starts will go in a different planter, and the small planter in front of the porch has feral chickweed just transplanted into it (also protected with a bit of old fence mesh). Hopefully, small amounts of fresh greens will help me stay healthy this winter

1 comment:

  1. That looks extremely effective! When I lived in Pacific climates I had fox and gray squirrels but they were content with oaks full of acorns. It was the deer that ate everything out of the vegetable garden.
    Here in the desert we have ground squirrels (because no trees), specifically the Arizona rock squirrel which is up to 2 lbs! I put up some wimpy plastic bird netting over my vegetable beds and the gigantic beast just sat on it while contentedly eating everything in sight. I let my dogs run through the garden area to scare away the squirrels, but the dogs like vegetables too and started pulling peas off the vines. So it's back to building a mesh cage of some sort for bird and squirrel protection. Thank you for the illustration.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed