The harvested garlic has now be lightly cleaned, and is hanging just outside the back door to air cure for a few weeks. This lets it dry down a bit further so that it will store as well as can be possible for use over time. Hardneck garlic does not store as well as the softneck type that makes up our usual store bought type, but the ease of use (fewer, larger, cloves instead of many bitsy ones, delicious complex flavors, and early crop of scapes makes up for that IMHO. I may, in fact try making some of it into pickled garlic, for some longer shelf stable storage, as an experiment...
I have, however, never tried before to braid or weave together the stalwart stalks of homegrown garlic, and was delighted to suss out this tidy way to loop one stalk after another around the grouping, which makes an attractive and easy way to hang them along the top edge of the garden workbench.
My "wishful Wednesday" is that somehow another two raised garden beds can be built prior to the autumn garlic planting season, as I would dearly like to double my allium spaces...
...in addition, last night I managed to get the next tablet weaving project on the loom, and will be working away at it in small random bits of time when some peaceful mindful work is just the right thing. I made the warp long enough so that there will be some for Thora, and some for me.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed