Friday, July 20, 2018

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine continues incremental progress...

Step by step the longest march can be won, can be won
Many stones can form an arch, singly none, singly none
And together what we will can be accomplished still,
Many drops can turn a mill, singly none, singly none
My father was an engineer for the space program, back when we had a space program...
※※※

For the last few weeks I have only been getting either one egg per day or none in the chicken house. My chooks are only three years old, they are too young to be not laying, so I blame the hot weather. I fed them the leftover watermelon, on the hottest day, it had frozen in the fridge and had a wierd texture, but to them it was still a treat, being a combination of fruit, water, and seeds... Today I saw that they had eaten it right down to the rind
※※※

I knocked my soap dish into the sink and broke it last night. Epoxy to the rescue! Leg successfully reattached. I'm no kind of potter, so my few ceramic efforts are rather childlike in execution, as I've not put in the hours that are required to build skill to match the images in my head. There are, nonetheless, needful or desirable objects that exist nowhere else, so on the rare opportunity to get to play with an unfamiliar media they come crowding to the fore, asking to be made real.
This is the repaired soapdish. I made it to fit the back corner of the sink, and drain the water from the used soap bar back into the sink. I wanted a self-draining soapdish forever, but never found one for sale (that fit both the space and my aesthetics), hence the rustic but functional DIY. Were I to get a chance to do more ceramics, I'd make one with sturdier and heavier legs, so as to be less top-heavy and tip-over-able.
※※※

July SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 wool apron dress planted tarragonyard waste bin
2 large border block LED light shieldvenetian blind
3 Thora mousie blockharvested garlic -
4 interstitial block
garlic braided -
5 xsoapdish -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x
x -
10 x x -
11 x x -
12 x x -
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

4 comments:

  1. That's an innovative design for a soapdish! Soapdishes have been around for 100 years or more but I've never seen one as cleverly conceived as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks... I had/have some very specific design criteria for this object... it needed to be all one piece, so as to be easy to clean. It needed to have a way to raise the soap above the soap dish (separate soap riser grid). It needed to be self draining. And, it needed to fit in the corner of my tiny kitchen sink, which already had some plumbing obstruction, hence the raised tripod of legs. And it needed to be Not Ugly. There are plenty of other options that ticked one or maybe two of those boxes, but none that ticked all of them.

      Delete
  2. That's a brilliant soap dish and a fabulous design! Plus it looks like a friendly little animal/alien visitor! I've seen self-draining soap dishes but never at a store, only at ceramics shows! Plus a good repair too! As usual, a totally admirable post! Hope you are not melting too badly - it's not up here too but at least our shaded bedroom cools off at some point in the night!! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire - I'm glad you are managing to keep coolish up there, it is most unpleasant here, though I do have strategies to mitigate it somewhat, the ongoing heat is playing hob with my everyday productivity. If I manage to get up to Seattle sometime, I'd love to connect with you!!

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed