in which our plucky heroine travels there and back again...
One of my favorite regional SCA events, AnTir/West War, happens every year just outside of Gold Beach, near the border between Oregon and northern California. We often choose to drive Hwy 38 along the Umpqa River, as a good balance between speed and scenery. The coast road is the most scenic, but even with part of the trip on I-5 it is still at least five or more hours from where I live, adding more time on 101 would lengthen the journey quite a bit.
This year, for our first time ever, the "Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area" had two large groups of elk close to the road!
We've driven past there many a time, and only ever seen a few elk one previous time, at a great distance...
Elk are huge, the second largest members of the deer family. Only moose are larger.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed