Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine notices improvement:

It feels like I am living in the middle of a storm of creativity lately, as if the tide has finally turned from the long drought that began with my cancer diagnosis four years ago...

Russ wanted to paint a heraldic banner for his wife, similar to the one that I made for him as part of Sekrit Santa last year, and asked me if I was willing to draw up the design. I of course said yes, because A: heraldic drawing is one of my superpowers, B: because more heraldic banners and suchlike adds pageantry to the game we are playing, and C: because Russ is all sorts of helpful, so my being able to help him is a good thing!

I ended up using the window as a light box, since the banner is rather large. Indeed, I used it twice, once to reverse the rampant wolf motif, and a second time when transferring the drawing to the fabric.
:::

I have been refurbishing an older SCA underdress of mine, fixing the wonky neckline and shoulders, by adding an embroidered replacement yoke* in exchange for an experimental neckline that worked poorly.

The undergown fits a lot better, because it no longer slips about randomly orbiting the neck and shoulders. Still need to work on seam-finishing the inside edges where I cut away the old neckline, and now I should be able to get quite a few more years of wear out of the garment.
The lower hem edge, which had a plain wide band of ochre osnaberg fabric, now looks a lot better with periodic application of these amusing block printed acorns.
:::

May SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 printed trim samples caged feral roses cardboard recycling
2 banner design block printed
undergown hem
-
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -


*a closer look at the simple embroidery on the replacement yoke:

1 comment:

  1. what a great fix. I love the purposefulness and chnaging old clothing to better fit the need. fantastic

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed