Wednesday, May 29, 2013

rainhat details


I made yet another rain hat, in the same style as my previous ones, and this one I added a few new details... there are little tabs on the inside, with grommets, to attach a chin strap to (rather than attach directly to the seam, where the cord often simply pulls out. And there are these "micro-belt-loops" to run a hat band through. The hat band itself is made from two layers of synthetic ribbon handstitched together

Every time I go to the ribbon shop downtown, I have a wonderful conversation with the proprietor, and she and I have exchanged gifts several times... when I was buying the ribbon for the hat band, she insisted I take this sweet ribbon flower she'd made, since it coordinated beautifully. I added a few beads to the center, and some ribbon leaves, and made it into a brooch, now pinned to the side of my new rain hat.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely gift, made even more beautiful with your bead and ribbon leaf additions. I really like how you always add that touch of beauty (or whimsy) to your otherwise utilitarian pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed