Tuesday, February 19, 2013

continuing education


The way to increase your skills and ability is to both practice what you know, and continue to try new things... For this simple t-shirt (made as most of mine are from thrifted bits) it seemed like a fun idea to try a new-to-me neckline binding technique. The clever "reverse binding for single knits", posted on Shams blog, is a technique that I had never attempted before...

Of course, the fabric I was using was very different from her example; I figured that using a narrower strip would just give me a narrower binding, as proved the case. Rather than using a ½" seam allowance for the initial stitching, ¼" proved to be suitable, and I cut away the stitching from the hemline of the grey t-shirt that I used for the revised center panel on the cave horse shirt, which left me with a nice even strip, that was only about 1¼" wide. My new machine, 'lil Nina, really showed her stuff, as the dashboard allowed me to set a zigzag stitch that was barely wider than straight stitching, which gives just enough stretch to the neckline stitching.
Initially the extra fabric beyond the binding didn't really curl up, but a bit of judicious stretching and patting and it now looks rather like some kind of double-piped edge, and will be a good addition to my edge binding repertoire. A great Big thank you to the amazing Shams for this, as well as all the other wonderful sewing information that she shares so freely!

2 comments:

  1. Neat! And what a fun shirt design. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! I figured that Max needed to come out and play - I miss our Ranger expeditions...

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed