our plucky heroine, dressed for an afternoon of adventure...Saturday I met with my friend S, and we headed out to see some of Portland Open Studios. The weather cooperated, giving us a crisp autumnal sunshine to tootle around N and NE, mostly in neighborhoods where I'd not done much prior exploration (now noted for future bike rides and photography rambles).
We started out at the studio/home of Richard Brandt, fittingly sided in new adobe plaster. His work ranged in scale from tiny orange-sized unglazed teapots to large architectural ceramics, the largest ones with a wonderful feel of archaeological artifacts from an unknown distant civilisation, gears and gizmos and mechanical fragments. If there was more mature garden space here at Acorn Cottage, and money in the kitty for ornamentation, one of his artifacts would have found a place in my yard. His assorted large scale ceramic chains were also really fascinating -
As we left, Richard pointed out the box of ceramic "bones" which he'd made, and encouraged us to choose one to take home, so one of his artifacts came home with me after all...
We saw whimsical collage art down in the industrial area, and stopped into a printmaking studio (Atelier Meridian) where Liv Rainey-Smith was demonstrating woodcuts and Carolyne Landon was talking about her upcoming Genesis app. While I am not entirely clear on what an app does, it looked like an interesting way to show someone (properly equipped with the correct technology) views of her artwork, in a structured but not necessarily linear fashion. I myself was more interested watching in the woodcut creation and printing, and noted for possible future enjoyment that the studio has various workshops and classes scheduled.
The paintings of Shawn Demarest were full of the varied light of our region, and her imagery was so resonant to my inner life; I never tire of streets and roads and neighborhoods, the landscapes that my own stories play out upon, and she captured that glowing light so very well
S and I ended the day at the home/studio of her friend Bridget Benton. Her studio was an inspiring marvel of various workstations, that would encourage the least artistic person to use their hands and heart to create, and would tantalise any creative person to new efforts. (Made me want to go home and sort and tidy, to help my own studio become so appealing! - more lights, must get more lighting in my workspace) And not only did Bridget have her artwork displayed, but she also had set up a hands-on try out encaustic monotype station, so everyone had a chance to actually play. And pretty much everyone that showed up that evening did!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed