"Who are you? What do you do? Are you worth my time? Am I worthy of yours? Not 'What can you do for me?' which is a more common question in our selfish and materialistic world, but rather: what excites you? what do you do about it?"
My reply to these was...
Who I am is a woman who does her best to create a life that makes sense, given my view of reality; this has been my goal for as long as I've been conscious. Who I am is a woman who makes an effort to BE conscious, to the best of my ability, and to have a reasonable amount of voluntary control in how my being in the world creates ripples in the common reality. I am a woman who has somehow finally managed to become an grown-up, without (I hope) losing my sense of and connection to childhood joy
What I do is make things; with my hands and eyes and various skills, I bring things from the world of idea to the world of materiality. What I do very best is design, next best are my sewing skills, and my other skills of metalwork and enameling and home-keeping are still very much a work in progress.
What excites me is where, I think, that my focus is shifting from past interests to some new as yet unknown... There is, inside, a turning of some kind, and I do not yet know where or what I am turning towards... The subjects of my former delight are, while still enjoyable, no longer magnetic.
What I do about all this, (other than write about it) is to have faith in my own process of growth, which has brought me so far, though not without great struggle over the years, to a place of balance at last. What I do about this is to continue to do the work of the world that comes to my hands, and to share what skills I know with any who seek that knowledge.
What I do is make things; with my hands and eyes and various skills, I bring things from the world of idea to the world of materiality. What I do very best is design, next best are my sewing skills, and my other skills of metalwork and enameling and home-keeping are still very much a work in progress.
What excites me is where, I think, that my focus is shifting from past interests to some new as yet unknown... There is, inside, a turning of some kind, and I do not yet know where or what I am turning towards... The subjects of my former delight are, while still enjoyable, no longer magnetic.
What I do about all this, (other than write about it) is to have faith in my own process of growth, which has brought me so far, though not without great struggle over the years, to a place of balance at last. What I do about this is to continue to do the work of the world that comes to my hands, and to share what skills I know with any who seek that knowledge.
I'd be curious how other friends and folks would answer these questions....
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed