Friday, November 5, 2010

prototypically

Between all the other doings here, studio work has been happening, and somehow, the idea of a kind of chatelaine/sheath started percolating... This is only a rough prototype, worked out last night after putting the rest of the studio to bed, but I wanted to have it in time for Knitfest use and feedback.

the prototype

My idea is to have a way to carry along the most useful tools, a kind of modern chatelaine, similar to the way that Viking womens tools were carried hanging from brooches and belt. I've wanted a snips case necklace for ages, and the knitting needle size-gauge makes a beautiful, and useful, pendant decoration. I used 16ga brass wire and an old necklace to try out the idea; if it works well over the weekend, I'll make a more permanent arrangement, maybe with some decorative beads...

snips, and their holder

1 comment:

  1. That is wicked smart! Applying a new twist to an old idea.Are you making them for a Craft Sale perchance?

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed