Thursday, May 7, 2009

It drives like a truck...

It is barely lunchtime and I'm completely wiped out. Got up way early, and borrowed the wee Nissan pickup truck to get a yard of leaf mould compost. Portland has a leaf composting facility, where you can get things like leaf mould, and dirt, and other less likely things like crushed asphalt and concrete. It has been years since I drove anything other than Nimblefoot, or more currently, tiny rental cars. Though Mary Ann's Nissan is not a full size pickup, it has the famous pickup truck Arm-Strong steering. That, combined with the the seat stuck in the all the way back position, made driving interesting.

I wish that I'd brought my camera; the windrows of composting leaves were quite impressive, huge and steaming in the early morning chill. I felt like a small child, fascinated by the big machines moving stuff; the huge scoop that dumps the compost into the bed of the truck is longer than the truck, the operator fluffs up the compost first, from a pile that is at least 20 feet tall, then carefully scoops and dumps until the correct amount is ready to be deposited. There is a scale attached to the machine, and they have a range of weight that is appropriate, depending on how wet the compost is. I really had no idea how very large a cubic yard of compost is, and how heavy. Apparently, over 1000 lbs.

And once I returned to Acorn Cottage, I had to shovel and rake all that back out of the pickup bed into a tidy pile on my driveway, to return the truck before noon. I'm knackered. Moving the compost into the backyard will happen a bit slower, one wheelbarrow at a time. Just not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed