Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Midweek musings

My car is home again! The starter was what had died, and since I have over 200thousand miles on the car, I can't complain too much. And while the mechanic wasn't able to keep the cost of the repair as low as I'd hoped, he very kindly let me pay $200 and take Nimblefoot home, with the understanding that I would pay the balance in the next two weeks. Hooray for independent business folk. They will get a package of homemade cookies along with my money.

My potluck contribution for last night was rather successful, I made a chocolate sponge cake (with whipped cream and homemade raspberry syrup) There was nothing left to take home, which is actually a good thing, as I am quite round enough without having leftover cake lying about the kitchen. I tried out a new recipe, which I had found in the blog twelve22. There are two cool things about the recipe: it is proportional based on how many eggs you use, which means that you can make a quite small cake if desired; and it is all based on weight, you start by weighing the egg, or eggs in the shell, and add equal amounts of flour sugar and butter, as well as a bit of other things
Here is the original post chocolate cake recipe . I made the cake with two eggs, and added a bit of almond extract as well as the vanilla, since I rather like the combination of the two, somewhat reminiscent of Shrewsbury cakes.

I'd best head home and check to see if the incredible hailstorm has left anything standing in my garden bed of baby peas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed