Tuesday, May 23, 2023

tinyprint Tuesday

in which our plucky heroine enjoys another cooler day

There was a lot of time spent online today, so the external productivity seems less, but keeping connected with folks is vital to my well being. And incremental progress on care tasks is also vital. Mt Dishmore is almost gone, and Mt Washmore just needs put away. Some time spent enameling as well.
※※※

~ counterchanged ~
...Day 23/100 - tinyprint Tuesday and counter-changed pomegranates just had to be carved... I'm thinking that each Tuesday I will carve a block that is 1" square (or smaller) as part of my 100 days of printmaking challenge. This is a good way to use up small scraps of printing blocks; both these little counter-changed pomegranate stamps will work well as interstitial fabric motifs.
※※※

Last night I decided to order a tube of the right sort of ink so I can try intaglio printing (using the sweet little Open Source press). After careful searching online for the best Not-Amazon shopping option, I go ahead and click all the buttons and fill in all the blanks to have it sent to me. This morning, reading the confirmation email that lets me know it was shipped out today, I realise I ordered it from an art shop in London. It was somehow less spendy including shipping than from anyplace closer, and should arrive faster (those being the two variables I sort for)
※※※

This morning I sewed up one of the patchwork squares from the Moody Blues box. It took me 12 minutes. At that rate, it adds up to 5 squares in an hour, and 40 squares in 8 hours. I would go mad sewing patchwork squares for a whole day; but sewing one per day seems trivial. That would have me done sewing squares near the beginning of July. At that point, there will be additional steps to turn the assorted squares into a summer coverlet.
※※※

I follow the emails from fabrics-store.com, even though I rarely buy any new fabric. A long time ago they had heavy linen in a good dark chocolate brown, but it was discontinued for a long long time. Today in the sale flyer, there it was again! I was very self indulgent and purchased a 3 yard piece to make a new pinafore. I guess that rather defines my garment sewing for the year, as I also have a length of turquoise/teal linen. Though I know I also intend some serious textilia downsizing, it will also be useful to begin to bundle together the garment lengths of fabric that all coordinate well. I have some heavy ikat in brown/black intended for a jacket, and some lovely abstract cotton/lycra jersey in neutral shades with brown and grey that was a gift from Ruthie, and those together will be a lovely outfit that will work with much of what is currently in my wardrobe. (Same same with the teal linen, and the cotton PNW landscape print fabric) The knitted cardigan I have planned will coordinate with both of these options.
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 grey canvas hat
front yard mowed
apple tree prunings
2 tiny pomegranate
hooks on drying rack
more dead ferns
3 print drying hooks
scarf printed
recycle bin
4 layers 1-5 linoprint
re-done engraving
more dead ferns
5 -
bike refurbished
-
6 x
x x
7 x
x x
8 x
x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. I was able to splurge and order a length of "rustic" chocolate brown linen for a new pinafore.
2. using the shaker top from a jar of Penzeys herbs as a leaf stripper for cilantro works really well
3. I ordered 4 MERV 13 air filters to make a Corsi-Rosenthal box for Acorn Cottage. That way I will hopefully be prepared before fire season.

Time of Isolation - Day 1069

2 comments:

  1. Your fabric stash sounds yummy. And congratulations on creating a strategy for finishing the patchwork. I think it will bring you delight when you use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have made 1 square yesterday, and one today, and that fits well with my "incremental progress is still progress" motto.

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed