Sunday, July 4, 2021

long strange trip

in which our plucky heroine survives...

it was the best of weeks, it was the worst of weeks. A week ago I was feeling mildly/most melancholy, little knowing what the future had in store for all of us... an alarmingly intense heat wave caused by disturbance in the normal climate patterns of the "jet stream" Quite thankfully, I was rescued and carried off to the coast on Thursday by friends, thereby escaping the 116°F+ heat that melted trolley cables, buckled streets, and killed a significant number of people!
※※※









It was so wonderful to have the chance to spend time in such beautiful natural surroundings. Each day I went at least once (sometimes more) to spend time on the beach, to walk with my legs up to the calves in the ocean, and to enjoy letting my eyes and spirit stretch as far as the distant horizon, so much further away than "the houses across the street" in my home neighborhood. There were hikes in the woods, to the lake at the other end of the property, there was meeting a new dog-friend, soaking in the hot tub, and visiting with (vaccinated) friends not seen in many months

※※※

The box of goodies Heather brought down from My Mud Bay pals included an assortment of their homegrown veggies, a bouquet of edible flowers, and two tiny origami bento boxes for Nandina... I made kale bulgar feta salad with some of the greens.

When I looked at the various produce carefully tied in bunches, and draped with damp cloth, it sent a wave of lovingkindess through me, I am not there with them, but they remember me.
※※※

July SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - fabric stash sorted/culled
yard waste bin
2 --recycle bin
3 -- big bag of fabric
4 - - big bag of fabric
5 -- big bag of fabric
6 x x big bag of fabric
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I am truly fortunate in my circle of friends

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you in this week of extreme heat in your part of the world. I've been thankful that you have your new air conditioner. The reality of your being whisked away to the shore is so much better than I was imagining. Thank God for good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the good thoughts... the peak heat was terrifying, (and deadly for some). Even at the usually moderate temperature coast it went over 90F on Sunday.
      When I returned home Monday evening, it was still about 97F outside, and the same temperature inside my house. The first thing I did was turn the (new) AC on in the bedroom, and shut that door; took about two hours to bring the temp down to 75 in the one room.
      I was alarmed to see the street in front of my own local library as a photo on the weather news page, because it had buckled in the heat and was undriveable.
      My friends really are my treasure, and I am never not grateful!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had a refreshing vacation, and you have such kind and generous friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been craving time in "nature" for months now, and while I am filled with sorrow at the cause, I am everso grateful to have had the chance

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed