Fire continues to ravage the PNW, with over a million acres burned, local AQI 376, ramping up to 466 so far today... what can I say? The very air outside appears jaundiced, the sky a dark yellow grey at midday, and I am grateful I had not yet given in to my dream of having hens again.
※※※
~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 52 ~
Nandina will have to model her winter coat indoors, standing under one of the few garden plants (tree collards) I brought inside before closing the doors to the outside; initially to protect them from squirrels, and now very glad I did, as the new transplants would surely have died from neglect without hand watering. Someday, it will not be September, someday Oregon will not be on fire, someday I can open the doors to the front porch and the back yard again... but for now, as it remains too dangerous for human lungs to even set foot outside, creating new miniature delights is a good distraction.~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 52 ~
I already had the little hat, made from an Ann Wood free pattern, and thought a coordinating coat would be good. I used some finely woven felted wool for the body of the coat, some scraps of blockprinted rayon seam binding for the cuffs, and overcast all the edges with embroidery floss. Decided to not line the coat, as the fabric was not prone to fraying, and it would hang better (be less stiff) without a lining. Originally was going to add more embroidery, but I liked how it looked with just the edging, and instead, decided to add pockets. Tiny functioning pockets, should Nandina want to put something in them...
※※※
before the smoke rolled in, I managed to pick about 28# of plums, which now need to have something done with before they all become overripe and moldy. Mostly they get cut in half, frozen on trays, then stored in freezer bags to be used over the rest of the year. This year I am trying a new experiment: cutting some into eighths and running them through the food dehydrator, in the hope of ending up with faux raisins. Last year I tried drying halves, and it was not a success, but perhaps smaller pieces will take less time to dry. We shall see...
※※※
September SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Gwen sunhat | removed oven door | old underwindow |
| 2 | dozen EQUITY prints | clean one bedroom screen | dead cold-packs |
| 3 | tiny deer hat | clean studio screens | yard waste bin |
| 4 | Gwen knit cardigan | 10# plums processed | recycle bin |
| 5 | Nandina coat | felt cover for exhaust fan | favorite saucepan |
| 6 | x | x | oven door glass |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - Counting my blessings that I have internet, and have a way to connect to it, to my friends, and to the wider world outside the confines of Acorn Cottage... One example: earlier this month I had posted on FB about the tripling in price of canning supplies, in the few places they were even available, and how much I regretted not stocking up on lids back in March, when I did the massive shopping before going into isolation. In Friday's mailbox, a package arrived with a box of a dozen lids, courtesy of my northern pal Countess E, from her farmstead to my little urban cottage!! Cheered me up no end, it did.


You and your network of skilled and generous friends keep renewing my faith in humanity. No matter how bad things seem, you continue to be proactive and productive, as well as giving and thinking of others every day. Your attitude of gratitude (sorry) is a beacon and it makes me happy to know that occasionally the universe does provide.
ReplyDeleteTY Katrina... Finding things to be grateful for is both my form of "spiritual practice" (if that doesn't sound too pompous) and how I self-care for my own mental health. I will admit that these current times are very trying indeed, and being totally housebound now is taking a toll on me. If fortune smiles on us, eventually the air will clear, and the fires will end, at least temporarily
Delete