Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Tuesday tidbits

in which our plucky heroine is blue, but not sad...

Its gingerbread season, but I've never made cuneiform gingerbread... or for that matter, stamped cookies like the ones that Reannag Teine creates amazing stamps for...
※※※

New dress, made from indigo dyed batik cotton stripe, using the revised button front bias cut bodice pattern. There are still a few subtle adjustments I want to make, but overall am pretty happy with how it turned out. Most of the time, everyday dresses are worn underneath a pinafore, like this:
.
My bias front bodice pattern is drafted a bit more closely fitted than the straight grain bodice... so it needs a pleated back yoke to help with freedom of movement, like when I ride my bike. But there are some fabrics that look weird if the printed design is on a diagonal, so having two different bodice options is a good thing.
※※※

After the winter holidays, in January I plan on participating in the "Sólbein Steek-along" hosted over at Fringe and Friends. I love sweaters made from Icelandic yarn, and the pattern motif on Sólbein is simple and subtle, and my chosen yarns are all denim-y indigo:

BUT... I don't want to knit the sweater top down, for two reasons - 1. I do most of my knitting while riding transit. A top down sweater gets bigger and bigger and bigger, and is not at all modular. A bottom up sweater is modular for at least half or more of the process, until the two separate sleeves and lower body are united. And 2. I think that knitted decreases look much tidier than knitted increases. So, I have been gradually trying to suss out how to transform the top-down pattern into a bottom-up pattern. It is rather like a word problem in arithmetic.
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 brown linen blouse GM enamelextra tartlets**
2 jingle bell brown blouse cuffs-
3 indigo batik dressx -
4 x x -
5 xx -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x
x -
10 x x -
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

4 comments:

  1. That sweater pattern is gorgeous and I just had a look at the colors they offer in that lettlopi yarn. Sigh. It's been ages since I knitted a sweater. . . but I am so tempted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I knitted a sweater was back in 2000... I think that I want 2019 to be the year that I make some sweaters - so what do I do, but order some more yarn!! Truly, I could start by using some of the yarn I have in the yarn storage boxes, and I have a plan for a stripey sweater that will use up some of the random single balls of yarn (which is most of what I have on hand), but Lopi, and Lettlopi are one of my very favorites of the yarn world. Very warm, very lightweight, inexpensive, and quick to knit up. Granted, they are also not "soft" yarns like the oh so popular merino, but that doesn't bother me; if is it cold enough that I want to wear a sweater, I will also likely be wearing several layers underneath!

      I am sorely tempted to purchase another cardigansworth of Lettlopi, as the place I ordered from before just got a favorite color back in stock. I hadn't realised when I placed the order that I was actually buying yarn from the UK! The prices and selection are so much better when ordering the yarn from the UK or directly from Iceland, even including the shipping, which surprised me

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love the color of that dress and it's so nice to see it all finished. Beautiful fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I'm pretty pleased to start getting some dresses and blouses into my closet. The dress is actually fairly loosely fitted, but the bias front bodice lets it curve where I curve :)

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed