It has been a long cold springtime, even though it is almost the summer solstice. Not that I mind, since for me, cold is easier to deal with than too much heat. Though I've not done as much with the gardening as would be ideal, it is apparent the difference between plants that relate to warmth and plants that relate to daylength. The garlic that was planted last year is doing alright, the plants have all created their lovely curly scapes, which have been cut off and will be part of tomorrow's dinner. The theory is that the scapes (flowering/potential fruiting parts) if allowed to flourish on the plant will take energy that would otherwise go to the developing garlic cloves. So I eat them instead. Someday it would be lovely to have enough garlic growing to make pickled scapes; the ones that my Oly pals made a few years back were superb. And just as should be, the culinary sage is blooming next to the front walk, with vivid purple blossoms, and in the backyard, the feral roses are opening their crimson blooms to the watery sunlight... On visiting the doc for my continuing bug-bite saga, also found out that the random incidents of dizzy spells are actually most likely the very selfsame benign vertigo that my mother also has. Or as the doc said, I have rocks in my head, actually little tiny crystal rocks in my balancing organelles in my inner ear. Was a relief to know that my description of the peculiar symptoms matches something most likely harmless. And while it was interesting to have local vertical disappear from time to time, am glad it has a simple explanation.
Watching the hens in the backyard this afternoon, one of the girls has figured out how to get through the most open of the fencing and back into the rest of the yard. Fortunately, there is more of the chicken wire, and that "escape route" can be closed off. They will do the most good confined to the area I want cultivated, and as there is both sun (when we have any) and shade as well as nice dust bath spots, it is no hardship on the hens to stay in that half of the yard
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed