Tuesday, January 14, 2020

I don't bounce

in which our plucky heroine has a mishap...

Well that was unfortunate, though it could have been worse. Somehow while sitting at my worktable, I turned and ended up sliding off my chair and onto the floor, falling a bit twisted and walloping my head on the shelves behind! I think I had turned to get the chuck key to the flex shaft, which had fallen to the floor, little knowing that I would soon follow it! Now I am rather sore in all my joints, with a bruise on the back of my head, and have been using arnica and other remedies for clumsy foolish folks. Hopefully in a few days I will feel like myself again
※※※

I have cut out the pieces for my grey shoulder wool shoulder capelet, and started looking at and measuring the pattern pieces for my grey canvas chore coat, both for SWAP. The capelet will be a Very Fast Sew, as I've already used the same pattern for my rain capelet, and am quite satisfied with both how it fits and with how it looks. The chore coat, (Frenchglen Barn Jacket however, will definitely require at least one go round with muslin, as my size and proportion are not matched well with the pattern. I'm using the measurements from my worn out venerable rain jacket as a guide to proportioning the new pattern, as the former is a good size for wearing in transitional seasons and over a knitted cardigan in the winter.
※※※

First time in decades I created a ring setting, to re-set this medieval Pelican artifact. Signet is 7mm in diameter, ring is sterling silver, size 7. The artifact had been poorly welded? to a ring shank. which failed; the current owner asked me to create a setting that would hold the signet more securely, and allow it to be used (if desired) as a seal... my confidence in my abilities is restored, and my client is quite pleased with the now wearable ring... as two of my goals for the year are to close open loops and to increase my studio time on metalwork/enameling efforts, it feels like a good start to the year so far...

removed the old ring shank, started a bezel setting


new ring setting ready to assemble
※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 card for Bera better light in workroombag to Goodwill
2 Awesome Sauceimprove dotted necklinepaper recycling
3 horses blousebutton replaced -
4 Wanda ring
- -
5 charter #1- -
6 - -
-
7 x x
x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I'm sore, but nothing broken or torn

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you heal up very quickly. I just bought the Sienna maker jacket from Closet Case. View C is somewhat similar to your barn coat but with more pockets. The pattern has an extended sizing version and I found the smallest size (14) is actually closer to my shape than the regular size range. Bust darts make all the difference apparently! I’m looking forward to testing it eventually after I finish some items that have been left in limbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisa! I have been noticing the Sienna Jacket in various places around the internet, and had I not already purchased the barn coat pattern, I'd have been tempted. I guess that working/chore/barn coats are a current thing? What I am planning to do with the barn coat is do some pretty serious modifications; to start with I am going to split the front and back pieces and add in some princess shaping in lieu of adding darts to shape the front for my bodacious bosom. Since I also plan on lengthening the coat a bit, maybe as far as knee length, I am also thinking about adding some slight gores, so it will fit better over my pinafores. And, I have an assortment of Useful Pocket tutorials bookmarked just in case...

      I think that once I get the LogCabin Mitts I am making for my SIL completed, I am going to see if there is enough fingering weight yarn in my tiny yarn stash to make one of those cowls...

      Delete