Saturday, June 30, 2018

a simple transformation

in which our plucky heroine creates shade...

any who know me know that I mislike the glare of a sunny day, never worse than when the only respite is inside a baking hot tent. There may well be some additional SCA camping this summer, and so I decided to replace my long lost merchant shade. Harbor Freight has cotton canvas drop cloths, and after several trips through the washer, interspersed with hanging outdoors in the sunlight, the peculiar odor common to most of what they sell was finally dispersed enough that I was willing to bring it indoors. (My poor Washing Machine needed to have a special "EXTRA DEEP CLEAN" cycle, which I've never needed in the last ten years in order to get the odor out afterwards as well?!)

The drop cloth, which should prove a good sunshade, is still not sturdy enough to support grommets, so each corner, and the middle in between, all needed reinforced. I cut pieces of much heavier canvas to go on either side, stitched those in place, and then also cut leather washers for each side. Finally, heavy brass two-piece grommets were hammered into place, to provide a good anchor for the ends of wooden pavilion poles.
It has always served me well to acquire Useful Tools... the grommet setting jig makes quick and easy work of what would otherwise be a very troublesome if not impossible task. I have made stitched grommets in canvas, indeed, my Viking tent has two such on the edges of the ridge, as the needed diameter was much larger than a metal grommet could encompass. But for this simple project, the brass ones will more than suffice, I hope, since they only take a few minutes to set, and handstitching a grommet takes at least an hour.

This tarp to dayshade is only nine feet by twelve feet, so not very large, but will hopefully serve as a patch of shade for daytime projects, as well as a place not in the kitchen zone where we can all sit together and eat. I've at least four poles six feet long for the corners, and will cobble together two more a bit taller, for the central edge grommets, giving the dayshade a bit of a peaked roof. Some sturdy ropes and some of my forged iron tent stakes will be all the rest of what is needed...
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 pickled garlic scapes Isabel apron dress trimsmall crock pot
2 seven baprons Drusa hat trimcracked iron pot
3  undergown Genievievepruned sage yard waste bin
4 undergown for Isabel
pruned forsythia -
5 Norse apron dress Aesacontinued pruning apple -
6 Aelflaed pinafore "brooches" for Aesa -
7 blue curtains tarp to dayshade -
8 Drusa wool coat x -
9 Drusa apron dress
x -
10 x x -
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment