Thursday, March 22, 2018

blue transfer ink

in which our plucky heroine finds herself in a sticky situation...

Ever since I changed my heraldry*, making a new quarter-circle banner for camping season has been on the list of desired improvements Since I've barely enough remaining of the bright blue melton cloth, I decided that sandwiching it between two layers of white wool felt and doing reverse reverse applique would be a feasible way to get a two sided design. My former banner had two layers of blue with white wool in the middle, and was reverse appliqued, which has worked really well.

wool felt with transfered image on right, reverse of image sketched on paper on left

However, my usual method of marking out a design for stitchery, using chalk, would not work on white material. Wanted to see if I could find a way to transfer the design using stuff I had at home, rather than spend several hours on transit acquiring transfer paper. Remembered reading long ago about using sugar syrup mixed with "blueing". Have no blueing... so wondered if blue paste food color would work instead. It does. Did a small sample first, and the blue lines wash away completely using plain water.

The dip pen made, as you can see, somewhat irregular lines, which transferred exactly to the felt, leaving guidelines good enough to sew along. The sugary sticky transfer "ink" didn't dry on the paper all the way, given the moisture in the air yesterday, but dried enough to be able to carefully place the large drawing sticky side down on the felt, and iron the surface to transfer the image.

The only tricky part was that the transferred lines were also sticking to the paper. I solved that by carefully re-ironing the paper and peeling it away a bit at a time while still warm, bit by bit. This DIY washaway transfer media will become another useful item in my "toolkit of techniques" I am also wondering if using a ruling pen would work better than a dip pen for applying the lines to the back of the paper drawing...(I once had a ruling pen, but that was back in 1973, and at least a dozen moves or more ago, no way to know where it ended up...

March SMART goals (x=extra)
1 stone wool mitts hook added to mirrorsidebag of fabric
2 skystone wool mitts quince tree plantedbag to Goodwill
3 12 jars applesaucesoles on house boots yard waste bin
4 charter #5 - -
5 original scroll #1- -
6 Red Hart pendant x x
7 image transfer ink x x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

* former Arms were: Azure, a horse courant reguardant between three mullets (five pointed stars) Argent, changed to "between three acorns slipped and leaved Argent"

No comments:

Post a Comment