Saturday was been exhausting and a bit stressful, but so much declutter is happening. Every time we do this, my allergies go off the charts, as old dust and concomitant pollen gets stirred up. We started by putting in a lot of effort in the carport, and took away boxes of old tiles, a bookcase, old planter pots, and removed a bunch of wood scraps. Reorganised the wood that is stored there, with the intention of (over time) getting the space to where is will be useable as an outdoor "room" for projects and teaching, instead of just a substitute for the shed which is not here any more. Then we ate dinner.
After dinner Mindy and I tackled the pantry, and while we are not done with it yet, great progress was made there as well. We removed everything from the shelves, and sorted out all the canned goods to be discarded. I am very ashamed of how much was no longer useable, about a third of the contents need to be either composted or discarded without even opening the jars, because scary. I have been putting off dealing with this area for a long time, because it made me feel so bad. Now everything that is on the shelves is both tidy, edible, and food that I will eat. It is clear what needs to be used, foods are in categories, not random, and there is lots of room for the future canning I plan on doing, and for storing jars.
I rebuilt the pantry area here at Acorn Cottage. The bottom shelf apparently never got its heavy mesh backing and side panels (which keep things on the shelves in the event of earthquake) so this would be an excellent time to remedy that. In the photo here, the panels that cover the fronts of the shelves are, of course, detached right now so that the shelves could be cleaned and contents rearranged. (You can see the bungee loops on the uprights) I am quite pleased with the difference in how it looks now, even though I once again forgot to take a "before" photo. And I am not going to photo the shameful pile of old canned goods to be discarded; I will expiate my sins by having to wash a mortally large number of canning jars!
Going forward, our plucky heroine is am going to think carefully about what actually gets eaten and used for food preparation. I am going to improve the contents of the earthquake shelf. And the delicious home-preserved foods will be used in a timely fashion, and replaced in the proper season.
January SMART goals (x=extra)
|#||THINGS MADE||THINGS FIXED||THINGS GONE|
|1||A/C cardigan back||worm bin bedding||bad corduroy|
|2||12 jars canned pears||restring amber Laurel||paper recycling|
|3||A/C cardigan fronts||Dad slipper fix||boxes of tiles|
|4||-||hang envelope holder||old bookcase|
|5||-||Dad slipper resole||wood scraps|