Monday, January 15, 2018

some small progress

in which our plucky heroine takes baby steps

I finished a few other small projects this weekend. Long ago I made slipper socks for my family. My dad wore his until they wore out, and then sent them back to me, to see if they could be repaired (three years ago! ) well, not really, so I removed the bottoms, saving the patterned top parts. I then made some knit and felted slippers, and decided to sew the sock tops onto the slippers, to make a sturdier version. But the felted wool is quite slippery on smooth floors, which is a hazard to anyone, particularly those of venerable age. So this weekend I spent time hand stitching pieces of grippy "footie bottoms" onto the soles of the refurbished slippers, and they are now finally ready to be sent back to my parents... (I had made new slippers for my mom a number of six years ago as well, and the grippy stuff works well, according to her)
※※※

Recently, Ariadne mentioned that some additional flannel baby wipes for Kestrel would be helpful, and as I have a serger, I volunteered to run a batch up for them... it really was a nice change from all the pantry sorting this weekend to cut out a bunch of 6" squares and stitch around the edges so that they will not fray when washed. I sent up two dozen additional wipes with Blue Cedar House as courier, and hopefully it will help in a tiny way with the evergoing laundry of my Mud Bay pals and their tiny child Kestrel.
※※※

Blood oranges were on sale this week, along with an assortment of other citrus, so it seemed like marmalade season was about to get underway... Plus any jars that get filled with preserves can get stored on the organised pantry shelves. Figuring out a good way to store the empty jars is currently a conundrum. So, the citrus was boiled for a few hours, then after it cooled enough to handle, it was cut open, any seeds removed, the pulp chopped roughly, and the peel sliced into thin ribbons. Mixed with sugar, it sat for a few hours, then was cooked down to marmalade. Differences of a degree or two in the final temperature change the marmalade consistency significantly. I love how blood orange marmalade has a rich rosy orange color, deeper than any of the other marmalades I make. Hopefully the grocery will get in some organic seville oranges, which make a wonderful bitter marmalade, closer to the original version when orange took over from quince, centuries ago.
※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 A/C cardigan back worm bin beddingbad corduroy
2 12 jars canned pears restring amber Laurelpaper recycling
3 A/C cardigan fronts Dad slipper fix boxes of tiles
4 24 flannel baby wipes hang envelope holder old bookcase
5 blood orange marmaladeDad slipper resole wood scraps
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x
※※※

1 comment:

  1. The marmalade sounds wonderful. I store my empty canning jars in the same spot I store them when they are full. That way I never have to look for someplace to put them whether full or empty. We have a large storage space under each of our built in couches. That's where they go at our house. I take out enough to fill the space allocated in the kitchen cabinets for home canned food. As I empty the jars they go back into the cabinet where the full one was. When I'm out of a particular item, usually tomatoes, I open the under couch storage and refill the cabinet, putting the empty jars where the full ones were under the couch. It works for us.

    ReplyDelete