Friday, January 5, 2018

not exactly pets and other Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine is grateful to not live in Boston any more...

As it was warm enough to brave the front porch sans wooly layers, I made another attempt to photograph the black pinafore... Maybe I should have not been so quick to send the naughty fabric away to Goodwill, as it makes such a matte background that it may have been a good candidate for photographing my enamels! Anyhow, I'd been wearing one of my SCA underdresses around the house this morning, and had the idea to just toss the pinafore over the top, in the hope that the contrast between black and almost-white/grey plaid would show the pinafore better than my usual dark on dark choices. Still had to lighten up the photo a lot to get an image of anything other than a black silhouette.

This did give me an idea though, of making some loose blouses (not as long as the underdress in the photo, more like high hip than mid calf!) based on rectangular construction. It wouldn't solve my "getting the armsceye seam in the right place" issue with modern patterns, but it would give me some wearable inner layers. There will be some experimentation soon.
※※※

The first three fabric spheres for the year long temperature "graph" art/handcraft project. Each one takes me approximately 5 minutes to make, so it will be a negligible daily addition to my morning routine to check what the high was for the previous day and add another sphere.  Each one is about 1/2" diameter. After doing the arithmetic, at the end of the year, I will have a strand that is over 15 feet long. Maybe that is a bit long for a necklace! I shall have to see how that looks doubled up into a length that is wearable... My other idea is to weave the spheres into a grid, week by week, to make a piece of wall artwork, so either way, it will be interesting.
※※※

next time I decide to rehab the worm bin, I think I will do it in the summer... just saying that it is easier to give everything a good cleaning out and refurbishment when it isn't quite so brisk outside.
※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 A/C cardigan back worm bin beddingbad corduroy
2 - --
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x
※※※

Today I am grateful for my "pet" worms... they live in their little habitat in my kitchen, and turn my food scraps into excellent fertiliser for the special plants here... I am hoping that adding some worm castings to the soil around the rhubarb will encourage it to be more vigorous and productive and have large enough stalks that I can do something with this year

4 comments:

  1. Wow Alison that pinafore looks so good on you, I do like the layering effect. Keep warm x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Pam! I am keeping warm, and compared to most of the country we are pretty warm, it has been a high in the forties all this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for going to the trouble of layering dark against light. It does indeed help in discerning the details of the jumper. I especially like the position of the pockets, a bit forward of the side seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned from sad experience that "side seam" pockets, located where the hip curves outwards, invariably end up getting caught on door handles and suchlike, and getting torn. Those sorts of damages are very difficult to mend, so over the years I have switched to either front patch pockets, or these sorts of modified side front pockets. Much less ends up in my mending basket that way!

      Delete