Wednesday, December 27, 2017
two steps forward one step back
in which our plucky heroine makes SWAP progress of a sort...
The skirt seams on the black pinafore looked even worse after I ran it through the washer and dryer. None of the other corduroy fabrics I have ever turned so puffy and strange after being stitched into garments and pressed, so I can only blame the theoretical lycra content. I had thought to use the remaining yardage for another garment, but I also suspect it will not wear well, as the pile on the fabric is rather thin. Still, it will do for as long as it lasts. I am going to go ahead and edgestitch the gore seams, because otherwise it will annoy me whenever I wear it!
The other SWAP related progress today was that I finished the stenciling on the cardigan bodice... the back was fairly simple, being all one piece, but for the fronts, I wanted to have the motifs be continuous ie pattern matched, and it turned out to be fairly simple to do.
Once the paint has set for 24 hours, it gets heat set with an iron. I recently realised that the timer function on my phone can be set for 30 second intervals, which is how long it needs to be pressed with a hot iron. It is tedious to do this for lengths of fabric, and much less so if a timer is set, and one can listen to podcasts while doing the pressing.
The next step is to stitch along the edge of the painted areas one at a time, prior to cutting away their centers to expose the indigo blue jersey underneath. The stitching is probably the most time consuming part of this style of garment construction/embellishment, as each part of each motif needs to be stitched separately, and tied off separately, in order to maintain as much flexibility as possible.