Sunday, December 10, 2017

Sunday update...


in which we learn why our plucky heroine avoids the coffee and the tea (most of the time)

It is a home truth that caffeine and I are not friends. While the two cups of tea I drank yesterday afternoon seemed to only have the effect of making me unrelentingly chatty and silly while Tullia was here, the drug also had the effect of making it very difficult for me to wind down when it was time to go to bed, even though I was very very tired. Stupid tired. Like, I forgot I had a pot of broth on the stove I had been cooking down from the turkey bones I saved, so it sat out all night with the stove turned off. Poultry broth that sits all night at room temperature is no longer food. Sigh, that was a waste. The other thing I forgot was to close up the jar of flux on the workbench, which sat out all night long drying out. Fortunately, that is saveable... I topped it up with some water, closed the lid, and set it aside... once I am done with breakfast and morning chores, it will have softened enough to remix and be useable today.
※※※

ready, get, set... between working with Tullia again this afternoon, I spent time continuing to fabricate the setting for the turquoise heart. The bezel got a border of beaded wire, and a trio of fine silver granules at the tip. Then I added a hanging loop of heavy twisted wire, which was rather a challenge to fit and solder. A few more granules helped stabilise it visually, and finally I added two large jump rings as a bail, so that it can be worn with either a double hook necklace, or the more common jewelry chain... The white strings in the picture are dental floss, looped under the stone temporarily, so I can remove it at will, until it is finally set in place
I sketched out a lot of ideas for how to fabricate this pendant, and for a while was thinking about adding an additional overlay to the back, maybe a portrait of Smokey... while I decided against that, (the setting is quite heavy already, and adding another layer would really almost double the weight) I thought that turning it into a reliquary had merit. I have a box with small bundles of Smokey fur, and will use some of that as part of the padding for the stone...
... and... tis done! I am pretty happy with how the pendant came together. The style is, as intended, southwest-inspired, as seemed appropriate for this chunk of Arizona turquoise. Since I don't yet have a dedicated necklace to hang it from, I temporarily borrowed the grey pearls from my running horse pendant - not sure what will be the best sort of finishing strand for it... maybe some vintage red whiteheart beads?
This is what it looks like "as worn" with a double hook necklace. The benefit of such a necklace style is that it is much easier to fasten a clasp in the center front than in the center back. However, should I decide on a different sort of carrier, the two jump rings will also work well threaded with a necklace chain, or ribbon, or braid. I have not previously used a double jump ring as a bail, but will certainly do so when appropriate in the future...
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Kestrel hat backdoor latch-
2 sekrit needlebook blackhorse earrings-
3 turquoise heart pendant framed old photo -
4 x x -
5 xx -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x x -
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x
※※※

1 comment: