Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Tuesday tidbits


in which our plucky heroine becomes unstuck...

So some of the days, going to bed early, because tired and woke up at 5 AM yesterday, ends up with even further sleep/wake out of phase. Why am I awake now? going to bed early is not supposed to mean that I only sleep for six hours! On the plus side, I can run the house fans before sunrise and get extra cooling action... on the minus side, epic naps will likely be required later today. Is this a worriesome abnormality, or a realistic adaptation to unnatural conditions of excessive heat?
※※※

Given that each summer seems to be hotter than the year before, I decided that adding greater chicken watering capacity seems like a good idea. I decided to try out this new kind of chicken drink station, and ordered a kit to DIY one myself. If their calculations on the website are correct, I could go for at least a week between having to fill it up with fresh water, and the water itself would stay cleaner. (Since I already put the waterers in the shade, keeping it cool and protected from the sun would not be an issue)

Once I source a suitable bucket, it will be an interesting project to put together. Plus, hole saw!! (I did check with the sellers about if the hole saw was suitable for using with an ordinary household 3/8" electric drill, before I went ahead and bought the kit, since having to buy a new drill as well would make it a bit problematic...)
※※※

Yesterday spent most of the afternoon and early evening keeping a friend company and driving her home from her doctor visit. While sitting and waiting for her, was able to finish sewing the buttons on the rainbow baby sweater, so that, along with the matching hat, is now completed and ready for baby Kestrel.
※※※

Took four bags of old and new clutter to Goodwill on Tuesday. It always feels faintly ridiculous to be walking down the street pushing a big granny cart full of bags of discards, but it is actually fortunate that there is a Goodwill on the corner where my street meets the local bypass road; it saves me having to arrange transport, and has made my decluttering just a bit easier. Which is a good thing, since a fair amount of the clutter originally came from the same place! Fortunately, I have been entirely able to resist browsing their shelves for new-to-me thrifted items any more...
※※※


※※※

August SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 rainbow baby hat buttons sewn onbag to Goodwill
2 - --
3 x x -
4 x x -
5 xx -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x x -
10 x x -
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

6 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest little outfit! What a lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby outfit adorable. Re sleeping pattern I would suggest sleeping when your body needs it and not worrying too much about it. A full night of sleep is a modern invention facilitated by electricity in recent times and necessitated by humans moving away from the equator. Traditionally in the southern european countries days start early and end very late but have a siesta in the middle of the day when hottest. So many sleep patterns have been possible in different countries and eras. I also think if you have lower energy then 2 sleep periods a day can be more recharging before rest is needed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about how modern sleep is affected by electricity... I just feel fortunate that I CAN just take my time off in the middle of the day to sleep, which would have been impossible when I was not self employed.

      I am rather the opposite of people with seasonal affective disorder, as in the summer, not only do I try and sleep *more* but I am so much less productive, drag through my days, and feel like just hiding indoors. As soon as the weather cools down, there is a little rain, and the sky is grey I immediately perk up and feel lively and happy!

      Delete
  3. Agreeing with Ruthie on the sleep pattern flexibility. Also, that is the sweetest chicken waterer!! I don't know why they "have" to poop in their water, but it is nasty to empty and clean. Sending a link to that site to my chicken-raising friends in Wisconsin (for whom I emptied water for 2 summers) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two hens don't poop in their waterer, as I have it up on a stack of bricks, but it is a traditional waterer and so has an open "ring" of water all around the bottom edge, which does get full of dirt and debris. I like the idea of a waterer that they can drink from "on demand" where most of the water is inside the container... plus in our very hot summertime, having several waterers available to them seems like a good plan. In the winter OTOH, I use a small waterer that I can easily change out more than once a day, so it doesn't freeze solid, and is easy to bring inside at night

      Delete