Wednesday, May 31, 2017

get r done


It has been a while since our plucky heroine managed to make time for writing here...

In the interim, there was camping at Egils* last weekend, where I spent time with my SCA household, taught a class on carving blocks for printing, and realised that it has been well over twenty years that I have been camping with the same group of friends (and hundreds of other people - Egils is a BIG event, though not as big as it was formerly, there were only about 720+ people this year), some of the friends I have were not even born when I began to be active in this hobby...

While I was there I started the embroidery that will decorate the yoke of a new tunic for Vanya. While I remember him as a chubby toddler with golden curls, sitting outside his parents tent and banging on a saucepan with a spoon, he is now a strapping young man and apprentice blacksmith, tall and bearded, and about to get engaged to a lovely woman. Time flies, don't blink... Anyway, he requested bears, with hammers, and these Viking Age bears were the result. He, and I, are both pretty happy with how they turned out.

※※※

There are actually two major SCA camping events that happen here in An Tir over Memorial Day weekend, Egils just to the south of Eugene, and Grand Thing out in Astoria... The illuminated scroll I was working on was awarded to Susan de Winter, outgoing StormRider of Stromgard, at the Grand Thing event. While I couldn't be there, my pal Dayna made sure the finished scroll got there safely, and even took a picture of the recipient:
(I plan on posting more about finishing the scroll tomorrow, there are a lot more photos to share...)
※※※

Doing my best to focus on the positive, which is a challenge, but possible. Hard not to be grouchy, as the ongoing pain from my left achilles tendon issues continues to make walking really difficult, particularly when on uneven ground, like when camping. This morning I woke up with "exciting" new neck/shoulder pain, having slept badly last night, stretched on awakening and now have hot coals under my scapula. Grump grump grump...  but... on the other hand... I was able to set up my tent this year, with minimal help, unlike last year when I was too weak to be able to do it at all. And, thankfully, I was away camping this last weekend, and not riding transit during the horrific attack here in PDX that killed two men and left a third still in hospital recovering. I spent time yesterday just sitting on my front porch and being grateful, thinking about all I have to be grateful for and enjoying the shade and listening to the children of the neighborhood playing down the street.
※※※

June will be busy. I intend to take time to set up a food plan, to help with budgeting and with my ongoing effort to take off a few pounds to try and make my legs less painful. There will be sewing like the wind, since I have at least eight or more garments to complete for others, prior to ATWW at the beginning of July. There is enameling - the Wastekeep hat enamels need done, and I will be teaching an introductory enamel workshop at the end of the month. Not to mention, it is time for summer pruning trees, the apple is looking quite shaggy, and I need to seriously thin the fruit set so I will get some nice big apples this year, and I need to apply the nylon footies to foil the bugs that want to live in said baby apples. Had best get out every morning early for a while for tree care. Plus somewhere in there, I ought to get back to the declutter efforts, which have been rather lax the last few months
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 grey jersey pants loom weightsbag to Goodwill
2 brown trim bands sakura embroiderybag to Goodwill
3 brown jersey pants supports for peas x
4 planter box repair bathing suit x
5 calligraphy for scrollx x
6 Thora hat cone x x
7 illuminated scroll x x
8 bears with hammers x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
※※※

*Egil Skallagrimsson Memorial Tournament XLIII

No comments:

Post a Comment